Insight on DIY Deck refinishing

TTQ B4U

Looking for tips on cleaning and power washing our deck before staining it.

I have a nice western red cedar deck but it's been 3 years and the horizontal areas are pretty worn and dirty. I've not done it for many years but this year I'm looking to save money and try it again. I had it done with a local guy/company and they did a great job, and while I understand it's their job, $650 is a bit steep for what I have and I figure a good portion of that is labor, which again, I can take a few hours to power wash it and if it takes a few days to little by little stain it, that's fine too.

Are deck brighteners worth it? I've also ready 50/50 bleach water works too. The sides / verticals are really good, just need a light power washing and then stain.

I've had good luck with and love the color of Cabot Oil Based products. Tried a number of water based versions and the color just didn't take right.

Anyway, thoughts, tips and tricks appreciated.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/98809309/original.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

$650.00 SHIYAT!!!!! I got quoted 2,600 for my deck and fence. I figured with me buying a sprayer for 100.00, I would have about 400 in it myself. Im subscribed to this since I am interested as well.

If you're interested in getting together to help each other out, I'm game. I talked with Clay about possibly helping each other. Herding cats can be tough, but If 2-4 of us could power wash and stain a fence it will go a shit-load faster than one guy alone.

If you're game, PM me. I can definitely see working out a partnership to help each other out. I'd rather do mine and help you than do mine all alone.

fwiw, I have an old ass mail post in front of my house (ceder I think), it was always in the shade due to a large tree I recently removed. It had moss spores all in it and had turned dark grey. Well, I put up a new mail box and to refresh the post I took a spray tank and mixed the water/bleach solution in and sprayed it on then let soak for about 5 minutes. Then I pressure washed it and the grime just melted off, things looks brand new.

When it was time to pay someone or do my deck myself, I used some of that cash and bought a higher-end power washer and did the job myself.

Tips...

Take your time power washing. My opinion is screw the cleaners, bleach, etc. The water does a great job all by itself.

Buy the stain in 5gal containers. Cheaper and insures all 5 gallons are identical in color.

Use a wide paint roller with a long broom handle for the horizontal parts (if you're not using a sprayer).

Buy family pizza and beer and invite them over to do the uprights. They take forever. Do them first.

Mask the area and use a sprayer , save your self lots of time. Rent one from wherein Williams . Brush any drips or thick spots. You will loose a little more stain in the air nut it's well worth the time in my opinion .

A deck like that and the type of stain you would be using, it is best to brush the entire thing or at most 4" roller/brush combination. 9" rollers will "fizz" up your stain(I assume your either using a transparent, or semi transparent stain. If you are using a solid color stain then you may consider spraying(although that deck is typically small to spray with what I assume sherwin williams will rent which is probably a titan 440 or similar sprayer) or using a larger roller, however I would still just stay with a 4" "whizz" roller. That deck should be able to be completely brushed double coated in a few hrs easy. If say you were staining a fence and using a transparent or semi transparent you could very easily get by with a vegetable type sprayer sold cheap at any home improvement store, and then if you wanted, back brush/roll into the wood. This method can also be used for a deck but at this size its not necessarily needed. Using a sprayer like sherwin williams is very risky due to the amount you disperse into the air. I have seen the paint used enough travel 1/4 mile away resulting in an entire apartment complexes cars needed buffed out. The likely hood isnt very much in your case but after masking everything, touching up after removing masking, cost/time of masking, cleaning out the pump, ect.... its just not worth it on this size deck. Its not like its a surface that is non porous such as aluminum siding, you really want to brush the stain" into" the wood, not have it lie on the surface.

Good point on the roller. I think I will stick to the 4" size for the horizontal areas. The verticals will just take time, but a brush should be okay.

When I had it done in 2008 they sprayed it and then back brushed where necessary. He did well. His was a compressor powered unit. Fence wise, I am thinking about power washing up a section of it, letting it dry and seeing what it looks like. I had it done in natural tone about 8 years ago. It's not entirely gone as its still a little brighter than my neighbor who had the same fence done at the same time but never finished his. If it cleans okay, I may just clean it and seal it with Thompson's or something. Any insight there? Is Linseed oil better? It's a cedar fence.

A deck like that and the type of stain you would be using, it is best to brush the entire thing or at most 4" roller/brush combination. 9" rollers will "fizz" up your stain(I assume your either using a transparent, or semi transparent stain. If you are using a solid color stain then you may consider spraying(although that deck is typically small to spray with what I assume sherwin williams will rent which is probably a titan 440 or similar sprayer) or using a larger roller, however I would still just stay with a 4" "whizz" roller. That deck should be able to be completely brushed double coated in a few hrs easy. If say you were staining a fence and using a transparent or semi transparent you could very easily get by with a vegetable type sprayer sold cheap at any home improvement store, and then if you wanted, back brush/roll into the wood. This method can also be used for a deck but at this size its not necessarily needed. Using a sprayer like sherwin williams is very risky due to the amount you disperse into the air. I have seen the paint used enough travel 1/4 mile away resulting in an entire apartment complexes cars needed buffed out. The likely hood isnt very much in your case but after masking everything, touching up after removing masking, cost/time of masking, cleaning out the pump, ect.... its just not worth it on this size deck. Its not like its a surface that is non porous such as aluminum siding, you really want to brush the stain" into" the wood, not have it lie on the surface.

I did just the deck about 4 years ago and it took me 2.5 days rolling and brushing it on. I cant imagine doing that with the deck and fence. I was just gonna buy a wagner or whatever the hell Lowes sells for 100.00. Should I just rent something better or am I good with that? I can remember the square footage but when I figured it out I was going to need about 17 gallons of staing based off the square footage.

I have what I consider a fairly large deck and can brush the entire thing twice in a few hrs, unfortunately the wife enjoys changing colors frequently. I recommend sherwin williams woodscapes stains to about everyone if someone wants a referral. Unless they change the products around as they typically do, it is sold in solid, transparent and semi-transparent forms.

I have what I consider a fairly large deck and can brush the entire thing twice in a few hrs, unfortunately the wife enjoys changing colors frequently. I recommend sherwin williams woodscapes stains to about everyone if someone wants a referral. Unless they change the products around as they typically do, it is sold in solid, transparent and semi-transparent forms.

I've had great results with Cabot Oil Based semi transparent, Redwood Tone. That's what's pictured.

Cabot makes a nice product. Their product used to be consider very high quality up until it began being sold at lowes. It is kind of like gliddens brand sold at homedepot. Glidden paint used to be great until they attempted to sell the same quality brand at home improvement store prices. Initially it was the same paint offered in their retail stores but over the years home depot found ways to lower prices by cutting quality.

We recently restained my parents deck and gazebo. We just scrubbed quickly with some deck wash, let it dry, then stained away. The hard part is just the tedious staining of the spindles and lattice work... Gotta make sure to catch those runs.

I know this is a few days old, but I just did this last week to my deck. I used power washer only to clean and it did a great job of brightening up the wood. I used Cabot semi-transparent Cordovan Brown and was very happy with the results. I used a 9" roller and backbrushed where needed. Next time I'll use a 4 inch roller as others have said. It took me 2 days to stain it, but my deck is huge. I ended up using 8 gallons total (a 5 gallon bucket and 3 individual).