Just got back from a pretty great vacation.

Akula

I like to spend time in Hawaii whenever I can. I take my family there just about every year. I just got back from the Big Island and it was pretty great. Stayed at Hilton Waikoloa Village and played all over Kailua-Kona. I suggest some 4x4 access only beaches.

Stay away from the touristy stuff and Kona is pretty awesome.

If you are looking for a vacation, this place is very good.

Depends on what part of Kona you are in. Hilo is worse but most people stay away from Hilo anyway.

I stayed away from Hilo. :dumb:

Snorkeling in 2 step was the best for the record. Well snorkeling anywhere was cool.

Snorkeling in 2 step was the best for the record. Well snorkeling anywhere was cool.

See anything cool? I love snorkeling. That's about all I did in Aruba 3 years ago. :lol:

I'm going to Hawaii for the first time sometime next year. It will be for my 10 year wedding anniversary. Plus a good friend of mine (my roommate in the Air Force) lives in Honolulu, so we're staying with him for a bit, then off to another island to see my brother and his wife... :)

See anything cool? I love snorkeling. That's about all I did in Aruba 3 years ago. :lol:

I'm going to Hawaii for the first time sometime next year. It will be for my 10 year wedding anniversary. Plus a good friend of mine (my roommate in the Air Force) lives in Honolulu, so we're staying with him for a bit, then off to another island to see my brother and his wife... :)

A bunch of sea urchins and coral reefs. Just make sure you wear water shoes. I don't like wearing flippers but it was a bad idea to go in barefoot. I came out with bloody feet it was a mess. The reefs and rocks and fucking sharp. Even so with the deep gashes it was an awesome time. And if you stay in long enough and mildly hyperventilate you get a nice high when back on land. :gabe:

Avoid Oahu, SOOOOOO touristy.

I like 2 step on BI but my kids are a bit small to make the entry/exit. I took them to the marina beach (locals secret). Saw a bunch of Humuhumunukunukuapua'a, lots of awesome corals, good lava tubes, schools of fish. The night dive with the Mantas is pretty amazing. I wear dive boots at the beach (I have low cut ones) so I don't chop my feet up. Plus you can hike the lava flows at the Marina so the boys were all stoked to be on the lava one minute and in 40' of clear water watching a school of Wrasses, the next.

Not sure if you are into cliff jumping but I found an awesome spot close to the resort I was staying at. There was some locals there also jumping. It is about 35 or so feet up from the smallest cliff that is safe. When we were there we attracted so much attention a random boat came by and 2 hardcore bros jumped out of the boat and joined us. It was pretty fun jumping and didn't really hurt as long as you went feet first. Only slight issue is you have to climb back up the rocks but it wasn't difficult. I hope this link works.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=19.549609,+-155.960337&num=1&t=h&ie=UTF8&z=17&iwloc=A

we went to Oahu and stayed at the North Shore... up at Turtle Bay. Place was AMAZING... being on the north shore, you miss alot of the touristy stuff unless the big surfing tournaments are going on... I can't wait to make it back there some day.