Testing Alternator Amperage Output?

hpfiend

Hey all-

Does anyone have a clamp on ammeter I can borrow/rent for DC?

Our project car puts out enough to maintain 14+ volts at idle but once we kick on the electric fans it drops it to battery voltage even up to 3000 rpm. Have not tried with headlights and fans yet. We checked at battery and at the alternator and they were the same which is surprising because the battery is in the back.

It is a hitachi chrome 100 amp one wire setup but we don't know if it is still putting out 100 amps and at what rpm...

Thanks!

Andrew

Is it 100amp at engine idle or 2000rpm or Max?

If its at like 8,000 alt rpm you not gonna make nowhere near 100amps when you need it.

I haz power to.share 300amp at 2k engine rpm.

But What was already posted is the first thing to do. Double check all connections.

Thanks guys-

Advance auto says they have the ability to check current...

I do not know the specs on the alternator- the previous owner put it on there- I do know it is chrome and says hitachi on it and the only one I can find so far like that is 100 amps. The model number is worn off. Hence why I want to know what it is putting out and where- ours does not put out enough at 3000 rpm. The flexalite fans have a circuit breaker so if they were pulling more than they should they would trip their breaker I would surmise unless the breaker is faulty...

We just redid all of the relevant grounds and cranking system with 1 gauge wire and solid connections. There are others to do for gauges and such as the previous owner wasn't that careful but as far as starting and recharging we should be good there...

Thanks! Where did you get the 300 amp alternator at 2K rpm?