RO/DI install??

Putty

I got this unit today simply for my fish tank. I plan to install it today. I was told to cut the water line that goes to my refrigerator, place a Y there. Run one to the fridge and one to the RO unit, done. Is that the easiest/best way to do it?

Thing is, I dont want water running to this all the time. For I will only use it for fish stuff. So is there a way after that Y, on hose running to RO, I can put a shutoff of some sort?

Edited by Putty

Make sure you have enough water pressure coming off the connection to fridge to properly power your ro/di setup. If you dont have enough pressure the system will not work correctly.

I setup my ro/di filter in my laundry room. It had strongest pressure in my house plus easiest for cleanups.

I also installed a y-connection coming off my cold water for my washer. This way I could decide if I wanted water going to the unit or not. But putting a simple shut off valve in the line heading to the filter would work perfectly fine.

There are pressure testers out there but I test the water itself. I have a electronic TDS meter that will tell me what the PPM of the water is. If it reads less then 3-5ppm you have enough water pressure. If its a brand new Ro/di unit you should read 0ppm.

I have the 3rd unit down http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=207&Sub=149

As a side note. I buy all my supplies from this guy as well. Replacement resin for DI unit and all the connectors I used to install it. It is listed under fittings on his website. It was much easier then finding the parts at the local home depot. And his shipping and delivery times are top notch.

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/

As a side note. I buy all my supplies from this guy as well.

Russ? Nice guy for sure. My unit has a TDS meter and pressure gauge attached.

What kinda tank setup you running?

72 bowfront. Will be fish only w/ several kinds of anemone and frags. I am getting Angels that are known to pick at corals.

Russ is the man. Which unit did you get from BFS? I am not in columbus very often but if I am over that way I would be happy to stop by and take a look at it give you some ideas on setup.

BFS-160 Premium Series 100

Thanks!! The install seems to be simple. I hope to have it completed this evening.

are you on city water? should have plenty of pressure. also if you are the only things you have to worry about is chlorine. on the out put side i hooked my red and blue lines together and tested the water, everything is good to go. that way i don't plumb 4g of good water down the drain just to make 1g of tank water.

its been working fine for me for 7 years with no tank issues.

I had a 140 gallon reef tank and I just ran a garden hose to mt RO. The RO water ran in to a 55 gal trash can that had a power head and heater in it and the dump water ran in to my sump pump. I mixed my salt in the trash can and used that for my top offs and water changes. I did all my water changes and top offs directly in to the fish tanks sump which had a float valve in it.

I decided not to use my fridge water line. The system had a hose sized connected in the packaging. I went and got a Y for my washer cold water. Connecting washer to one and RO to the other. I have a shutoff for the system side. The waste water is going in the drain where the washer spills.

I just have to come up with a plan to mount the SOB. Concrete walls

My thought is to take a 2X4 and make an L coming from the ceiling. Mount the system to the L.

yes, they will come with a drill bit. drill your holes and screw it.

Pilot hole? I wonder if I should screw a 2X4 to the wall or just two tapcons and hang the unit on those. Thoughts?

I decided not to use my fridge water line. The system had a hose sized connected in the packaging. I went and got a Y for my washer cold water. Connecting washer to one and RO to the other. I have a shutoff for the system side. The waste water is going in the drain where the washer spills.

I just have to come up with a plan to mount the SOB. Concrete walls

My thought is to take a 2X4 and make an L coming from the ceiling. Mount the system to the L.

I did the same thing from my washer with a Y and it worked great.