03 Blazer AC Blowing Hot Air Compressor Cycle off & on..need help please info insid

mustangman2011

Anyway ac blowing warm air bought gauge with freon. The low side gauge read around 55 PSI. I read it wrong and added more freon dohhhh it went up to about 65 PSI.

Before freon was added and after the clutch kicks on and off fairly quickly still blowing hot air. Also I noticed when the clutch/compressor kicks on some sparks were shooting out.

I dont have a high side gauges etc what should I check next? Ac switch? Compressor/Clutch bad? How can you tell which one is bad? If I buy or borrow gauges what does the high side tell you? Will that narrow the problem down exactly? Thanks

Edited by mustangman2011
typo

Anyway ac blowing warm air bought gauge with freon. The low side gauge read around 55 PSI. I read it wrong and added more freon dohhhh it went up to about 65 PSI.

Before freon was added and after the clutch kicks on and off fairly quickly still blowing hot air. Also I noticed when the clutch/compressor kicks on some sparks were shooting out.

I dont have a high side gauges etc what should I check next? Ac switch? Compressor/Clutch bad? How can you tell which one is bad? If I buy or borrow gauges what does the high side tell you? Will that narrow the problem down exactly? Thanks

Pressures are all relative to heat load - were you doing this outside in the sun - inside or shady area? Regardless, 65 is a bit high for the low side, but if you're checking it on one of those "can gauges", who knows.

As to checks/tests, did the car just stop cooling - or what prompted you to even start this process? This often gives a better place to start.

I ask because clutch cycling on and off can be caused by both too low a pressure (low refrigerant) or too high a pressure (high pressure switch cut out).

There are several steps to diagnosing the problem:

1) A set of gauges (w/high side) will provide an indication of compressor function

2) If sparks are shooting out of the clutch - it's likely damaged or at least will have a shortened lifespan. You need to be sure you have at minimum 12 volts at the clutch, not 11.9, 12 minimum and preferably more (within 1.5 volts on system voltage) - check with a good digital voltmeter.

3) With a touch type temperature probe (pyrometer) - not an infrared gun,

you will need to get temperatures for condenser inlet & outlet, evaporator inlet & outlet and ambient temperature vs. center duct temperature. With these temps (assuming #1 & #2 above seem OK) you can begin to determine a problem.

If you don't have these tools - take it to someone who does! You'll just be guessing and that gets expensive on AC if you guess wrong!

It sure shouldn't have sparks shooting out of the compressor, so that is bad or going bad very soon. Craig knows what he is talking about, but with the description you provided I'd be leaning towards a new compressor. These parts last a lot longer if done with the right equipment and expertise sense it sounds like you may need more then just a recharge.

Yes this was done in the sun the other day. Do you do ac work Craig? If you dont do work anybody you recommend?

Anyway to answer your questions she said the ac hasnt been that great for a while a year or so. Its cool air but not as cold as it should be. With it being over 100 degrees lately the air temperature is really noticable. Basically it is hot as hell with the air on still.

Yes this was done in the sun the other day. Do you do ac work Craig? If you dont do work anybody you recommend?

Anyway to answer your questions she said the ac hasnt been that great for a while a year or so. Its cool air but not as cold as it should be. With it being over 100 degrees lately the air temperature is really noticable. Basically it is hot as hell with the air on still.

I do a little AC work (when I have to) - primarily I sell auto A/C for a large manufacturer & instruct these days (though I still keep my ASE Masters Certifications).

Despite being on here for a while, I don't do recommendations - most of the shops I have worked with a long time are in Dayton. I'm sure some folks will chime in with their thoughts on good shops. My schedule is a bit packed for the next few weeks or I would offer to at least take a look and point you in a direction...sorry.