evo or sti

Rgreen

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The STi's pistons are really not all that prone to failure. The problem lay in the tune. The Stock tune allows for full boost to occur while still in closed-loop (14.7:1 AFR). So even in totally stock form, the engine is starting off on the wrong foot. But give it a good tune and make the change to Open Loop occur sooner and it's a reliable engine.

However, how much power do you want to make? The stock EVO 8 and 9 block can handle more boost than the stock STI block. Both can do 300awhp no problem. You can get more from the stock Evo turbo, but both blocks can handle 350awhp pretty reliably. It's the move from 350-400+awhp that you'll have to start thinking of cracking the STI block open when I believe the Evo internals will start to cry uncle around 400-450. If your choice is between an STI or an Evo X, then you're pretty much in the same boat engine-wise. So having goals will help in your decision.

Will this be a daily driver? You may find the STI's ride and the 07+ gearing more to your liking. Or do you plan to use this for a weekend/track toy? Then you might like the Evo's stock handling more.

Neither car can be considered refined. It really comes down to which degree of roughness you can put up with or meets your needs.

I can't find a evo to test drive,it will be a daily driver

I believe you'd be happy with the STI. I'm certainly biased, of course. If you do decide to get an STI, look for an 07+ as the taller 2-4 gears are nicer around town and the more open heads allow for a smidge more power at Stage2. But stay away from the 08s. The first year of the new generation was a little shaky.

I've owned an 06 WRX and now an 06 Evo IX. Both the STi and the Evo have there up's and downs. I hands down love my Evo, only thing I miss from my subaru days is the boxer rumble. I recommend an Evo.