Full System

SJC1000rr

Looking for some help on installing a full system for my bike. I found a great deal at SBS on an Arata Full Ti, but I don't have the knowledge to try it all by myself. I have yet to order it as I need to double check the bank $$ and most likely get a new header gasket from what I have been reading. Willing to transport all items to preferred work place as I dont have the necessary equipment. (Stands etc).

I know its a 3-5hr job, but if anyone is willing to help, I'd gladly pay them for services.(Cash,beer etc). Anyways let me know. Looking to try and do more self work versus eatting the shop rate.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by SJC1000rr

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input all. Trying to see what I am getting myself into, but I just don't see a reason to pay a dealer charge in buying the system+their rate. I can save $700+ if I order it online. I know I need to get a new header gasket and probably some Adhesive Heat Barrier for the lower fairings/canister. Still trying to research it, but I've seen where others have had to modify/cut the lower right corner for the last header to fit. :( This is what I would fear the most, as I hate cutting plastics!

Knicks-Thanks for the offer and I feel ya for beer! But Cleveland is be a bit of a haul from Southern Columbus ;)

Edited by SJC1000rr

Bring it over to my place, I have everything and it wont take me long since I have the same bike. I also have the heat tape for the lower fairings and such on hand.

For sure get some new header gaskets, its expensive but its a good idea. Plus the stock gaskets crush after they are used once.

Is this going on the 600 or the 1000? If it is the 1000, here's the deal:

04/05 pipes on 06/07 --> cut lower fairing (can't even tell, mine had to be cut)

any other combination --> no problem (some race pipes may still need cutting)

4 new gaskets, yes you will want them.

Heat tape/wrap/protection/whatever, it is a real good idea.

And oh yeah, I've put a full system on my 1000 (and took it off) before, so i could help you also.

Yeah, its for the 1000. I already have a PC3 and BMC filters in it. I ordered the Arata Full system Ti today with Box can and new gasket set from brad @Superbikesupply. Unfortunately, the one he had in stock sold 1hr before I got back to him :( So he ordered me another one from Japan, but it'll take 2 weeks to get in. I wanted the Black can, but Arata discontinued it...so silver it is. Going to Schmuck's when I get it in/time scheduled so I'll take some before and after pics.

Sato also went out, so I was down to Arata/Akro. I liked the sound and look of the Arata better so thats what I got. So this year for upgrades looks to be, Frame Sliders, Full System, Greggs Flushmounts, and to get dynoed when the system is in. As for me: Scorpian EXO700, AStar Charger race suit, SMX-R Boots and GP Plus Gloves. Its going to be a good year!

Yeah, its for the 1000. I already have a PC3 and BMC filters in it. I ordered the Arata Full system Ti today with Box can and new gasket set from brad @Superbikesupply. Unfortunately, the one he had in stock sold 1hr before I got back to him :( So he ordered me another one from Japan, but it'll take 2 weeks to get in. I wanted the Black can, but Arata discontinued it...so silver it is. Going to Schmuck's when I get it in/time scheduled so I'll take some before and after pics.

Sato also went out, so I was down to Arata/Akro. I liked the sound and look of the Arata better so thats what I got. So this year for upgrades looks to be, Frame Sliders, Full System, Greggs Flushmounts, and to get dynoed when the system is in. As for me: Scorpian EXO700, AStar Charger race suit, SMX-R Boots and GP Plus Gloves. Its going to be a good year!

I have the GP + gloves and I like them a lot. I heart my Akra system :)

I'm digging the gloves so far, but the my left hand seems a bit bigger them my right so the gloves ends up a bit tight across the hard knuckle guard and finger tips. I'm just hoping the seems don't tear out like my old Joe Rocket set did! Other then that the boots are breaking in slowly.

• 1 month later...

Update to this. Apparently Arata of Japan hasn't contacted any retailer in the USA for over a month. My order is still pending and as of right now, I have no information or estimate on when something might be shipped to the United States. :(

With that, I have been debating on other exhaust such as the Full Akro, or a Full Arrow with carbon cans. I think the Akro has a slightly better look to it, but like the sound of the Arrow. While I know it comes down to personal pref, does anyone have positive/negative on either brand? Or do I just wait it out on Arata which could take 1-2+ months?

Heres my options:

Arrow Full w/Carbon Can for

Price: $884.25 Shipped.-(@25%) off till Monday

Arrow Competition Full Ti, Ti Can w/Carbon End Cap

Total: $1,493.95 Shipped.-(@25%) off till Monday

Akrapovic Evolution Full Exhaust System (Hex)

Total: $1,538.95 Shipped

Edited by SJC1000rr

I've had both Akra and Arrow pipes before (had an Akra on my 600RR) and they are both excellent for both fit/finish and sound. I'd go with which ever you can get a good deal on.

Next week is Golden Week (national holiday) in Japan, so it's unlikely you'll be hearing anything from Arata any sooner than that, and with a 1~2 month wait time, I'd go with something else.

I think I have decided on going with Arrow now. I just need to figure out on the Moto GP style, Full w/Carbon Can or the Competition in full Ti. It doesn't seem the Competition comes in a Carbon full can.

Edited by SJC1000rr