97 Silverado, A/C issue

2 Sweet

The air conditioning blows cold, but air stopped coming out of the vents. If you switch the knob to select the floor or defrost it works fine, blows out nice and strong, but when you switch it back to the vents barely any air comes out at all, no matter what speed. It sounds like there is air coming from the vents even though there isn't, and it stops coming out the floor like it should when you select the vent setting, so I don't think it's the control switch.

I pulled out the fan motor to see if the evap core was clogged or there was any blockage, but it was clean. What do I do next?

Sounds like the actuator isn't working right for the mode door, not sure off hand if the truck is vacuum operated or electrical. If it's vacuum make sure none of the lines have come loose, if it has an electrical actuator it may have gone bad and can be pulled off and you can select different air delivery setting and make sure it moves through it full range. My bet is on it needing an actuator, not too uncommon.

I was going to ask the same thing Scott asked. We have issues with the vacuum modulated doors in our '91 F150 that sound similair to your issue. Presuming it is vacuum operated, a small leak somewhere for the dash vent door would cause it to possibly open "partially" but not fully.
  • Downvote 1