Cost LTX -vs - LSX

KennyFKINPowerz

So my original plan with the Camaro was to pull the LT1 this winter and build a 383 out of it and spray it. That is a proven combo that should put me in the mid 9's range, however it would have taken a lot of the daily driving out of it because I would have to run a solid cam and 110 race gas for the setup I had in mind. Now I don't know a whole lot about LSX motors other than everyone if flying in their DD's. So my question is whats the difference in cost if I just did and LSX swap versus attempting to stay die hard with my LT1 and doing the 383?

The 383 is gonna kill me in machine work. All in all I figured it was gonna cost me about 6k in total for the 383.

What is it cost to swap in an LSX and get the same outcome and still be a DD? And I plan on spraying it to get it there.

The main reason I even considered staying with the LTX was to participate in the LTX shooutout every year but I didnt really wanna give up the driveability for it. If I can spend the same and still run pumped gas and drive from the East side to Dublin and back every day then thats way more worth it to me.

So my original plan with the Camaro was to pull the LT1 this winter and build a 383 out of it and spray it. That is a proven combo that should put me in the mid 9's range, however it would have taken a lot of the daily driving out of it because I would have to run a solid cam and 110 race gas for the setup I had in mind. Now I don't know a whole lot about LSX motors other than everyone if flying in their DD's. So my question is whats the difference in cost if I just did and LSX swap versus attempting to stay die hard with my LT1 and doing the 383?

The 383 is gonna kill me in machine work. All in all I figured it was gonna cost me about 6k in total for the 383.

What is it cost to swap in an LSX and get the same outcome and still be a DD? And I plan on spraying it to get it there.

The main reason I even considered staying with the LTX was to participate in the LTX shooutout every year but I didnt really wanna give up the driveability for it. If I can spend the same and still run pumped gas and drive from the East side to Dublin and back every day then thats way more worth it to me.

the ltx isnt a bad motor, before all the fan boys come in screaming about lsx, it would cost you the same amount to do a 383 as doing a decent lsx swap. your front gaines will be greater but in the long run an lsx is better. if you have a budget stay ltx. been there, done that

not trying to be mean here but have you checked LS1tech.com for the cost of swapping an ls1 into an lt1 car? I'm sure its been asked.

With that said if you are worried about cost...why not go with the iron block 5.3, you can get those dirt cheap.

not trying to be mean here but have you checked LS1tech.com for the cost of swapping an ls1 into an lt1 car? I'm sure its been asked.

With that said if you are worried about cost...why not go with the iron block 5.3, you can get those dirt cheap.

I have not checked LS1 Tech. Honestly I have not put any thought in to a 5.3.

the 5.3 swap is getting more common in the RX-7s because of the price. Also I think they have a bit lower compression which lends to boost.

The drawback being weight, but since your car had an iron block in it already I don't see a problem. I've heard 5.3's going for $500-$1000 at junk yards.

There are big positives to doing a LSx swap, but there are lots of parts that you wouldn't have to buy to stay with the LTx. If you want to be able to drive it going to the LS motor with its much better easier to tune computer, stronger block, and better flowing heads you'd find it hard to beat. If it were me I'd pick up a used LQ4 out of a junkyard and rebuild. Mine is a good set of heads and bigger fuel system away from running 9s while being very streetable, my A/C works, my exhaust is very reasonable, and its managable.

I have a lot of respect for what the LTx guys accomplish with their stuff, but I think in the end it'll cost about the same to build a decent engine, an LS might save you a few bucks using the stock crank and such but would have to buy other stuff to swap it.

There are big positives to doing a LSx swap, but there are lots of parts that you wouldn't have to buy to stay with the LTx. If you want to be able to drive it going to the LS motor with its much better easier to tune computer, stronger block, and better flowing heads you'd find it hard to beat. If it were me I'd pick up a used LQ4 out of a junkyard and rebuild. Mine is a good set of heads and bigger fuel system away from running 9s while being very streetable, my A/C works, my exhaust is very reasonable, and its managable.

I have a lot of respect for what the LTx guys accomplish with their stuff, but I think in the end it'll cost about the same to build a decent engine, an LS might save you a few bucks using the stock crank and such but would have to buy other stuff to swap it.

Thanks Scott. I did some looking around and I think I am just gonna stay with my LT.