RIP Grandpa

Otis Nice

August 13, 2011 the world lost another great Vietnem Era EOD Tech. My grandfather, Senior Chief Master Sgt. William Nelson of the 438th Supply Squadron passed away peacefully. He served 21 years with the USAF then served as a pastor with the Nazarene church for over 30 years. He made E9 In well under 20 years and has more medals and awards than he ever told us we're finding out. He has several letters of thanks from his superiors speaking very highly of him. His spirit lives on in me and when I make it through boot camp in the future I know he'll be there with me. Mere words cannot express what he means to me and how much he inspires me to serve.

Love you papaw.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=654&pictureid=5367

Edited by Otis Nice

You are going to get alot of people saying sorry. so...

He sounds like an awesome, human being. The type of person this generation is losing. It is sad to see how society is changing. Being from a mostly military family i get to hear about past stories from all kinds of wars and eras. so to you i say congrats on having a grand pa you can reflect on and remember for all the great things he has done for this country. Not everyone gets that experience.

Remeber the times and stories you get to keep with you, not everyone is as fortunate. May he rest in peace!

• Upvote 1

Thanks all. Means a lot. In searching through his things we found awards and newspaper articles we'd never been told about. This man truly lived for others and not for his own glory.

One article told of a time a plane went down and he and one of his men rushed into the flaming nose section and pulled out 800 lbs. of live munitions so they wouldn't detonate and harm the others in the vicinity.

He was called to a scene without having time to return to base from church. Left in the family station wagon in the middle of service with not tools and out of uniform. He placed a live warhead in the back of the wagon and proceeded to the range calling on his team to meet him their in full gear b/c he knew if it went nobody would make it.

While in an old Jeep in Viet Nam he passed a live round. He got out, inspected, told his inferior to drive while he sat sideways, leg hanging out the side, with the warhead on his lap so if it went off it wasn't as likely to take out his man.

So many stories and awards he never asked for, never flaunted, and never boasted even to his family about. What a great American hero and man of God. RIP Chief Master Sgt. Papaw.

Mods, feel free to lock it up or let it die. I've said all I can and no more words will do this man justice. Thanks all for letting me share.