Teens Who Allegedly Put Cellophane On Stop Sign Charged In Fatal Wreck - Circleville

Das Borgen

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/08/25/circleville-teens-charged-fatal-crash.html

CIRCLEVILLE, Ohio - Two teenagers who allegedly covered a stop sign with white cellophane will face charges in connection with a fatal crash at the intersection, deputies said on Thursday.

Seth R. Stonerock, 19, and Derek W. Greenlee, 18, will be charged with involuntary manslaughter and tampering with a traffic control device, 10TV's Tanisha Mallett reported.

Stonerock turned himself into authorities on Wednesday and was being held on a $25,000 bond, the Pickaway County Sheriff's Office said.

Greenlee, meanwhile, was expected to turn himself in on Thursday, deputies said.

Charges against the pair of teenagers stemmed from an Aug. 17 crash at the corner of state Route 56 and Huber-Hitler Road.

According to investigators, a car passed into the intersection without stopping and was struck by an SUV pulling a boat. A passenger in the car, Mary Spangler, 85, was killed.

The car's driver, Jeanne Shea, 80, remained hospitalized in critical condition on Thursday.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

having been through Circleville, I m not surprised one bit

Isn't Cellophane clear????

I just read that a bit ago too. The cellophane is clear, but it was all wrapped up and twisted in the photos so it was no longer transparent. I'd like to think I would have caught that, but I think it was an old woman driving.

saw that on 10tv.com.

What a crock that theyre blaming the death on the kids. the stop sigh is clearly still visable. that old woman probably shouldnt have been driving anyways.

I think it's a stretch but for involuntary manslaughter, it may not be so

Only five years? They should be happy. A women old or not lost her life, they only have to spend 5 years in jail, but it will likely be reduced to 3 or less years, and based on good behavior it wouldn't really surprise me if she spent less than a year in prison.

This worlds to soft. Anyone defending the kids against an involuntary manslaughter charge needs to not speak/post anymore. Don't fuck with stop signs, gesh.

I have some friends that live right there near that intersection, on one side of 56 its a steep hill so traffic coming down will have lots of momentum and with the other car not stopping makes the impact even worse.

kids deserve what they get for being stupid!

Only five years? They should be happy. A women old or not lost her life, they only have to spend 5 years in jail, but it will likely be reduced to 3 or less years, and based on good behavior it wouldn't really surprise me if she spent less than a year in prison.

This worlds to soft. Anyone defending the kids against an involuntary manslaughter charge needs to not speak/post anymore. Don't fuck with stop signs, gesh.

+1

It was a stupid mistake that they made and it sucks that a momentary lapse in judgement will send them to jail for 5 years, but that lack of judgement ended another persons life. Bet they wont do it again.

Worst part is, they will probably come out of Jail worse than what they were going in.

Seems pretty silly, but I gotta say, I dont believe that would've happened to me. You just dont run out into an intersection stop sign or otherwise. Also, was this the first time this woman ever crossed that intersection?

Im not defending these kids in anyway, Im just pointing out that a lack of judgement (by the teens) plus an ignorant driver contributed to it all.

she shouldnt have been driving anyways. age was definitely a factor here.

that's another discussion for another day....for now, current laws and standards say she can drive and that's the bottom line no matter what anyone says until that changes....but I do agree with you