Miami NCAA ruling

Berto

This isn't anywhere near the end of this thing. When I first glanced at the story I noticed that the worst violations took place near the beginning of the 2000's because that's when Miami was good. Over the last few years Miami hasn't been that good so Shapiro wasn't dishing out the benefits like he did in the first part of the decade. This was much like what happened with OSU in December. Miami ruled them indefinitely ineligible and let the NCAA handle the rest. The NCAA decided that the story and documents were legit and handed out the appropriate penalties for these individual players. Look at the dollar amounts. Their DL Vernon is missing 6 games for $1,200 in benefits. Pryor took over $2,500 according to the NCAA findings and he was only going to miss 5 games. Posey, Herron, Adams and Thomas took between $1,000 and $1,500 and are only going to miss 5 games. Jordan Whiting took about $150 in benefits and is missing the opener this Saturday. So the punishments there fit the crimes.

The worst punishments from this story were always going to be institutional in nature and those will come down the line. I believe the NCAA press release even acknowledged that university officials knew of or participated in the improper benefits so that's basically a lock for failure to monitor if not lack of institutional control, neither of which OSU was hit with.

Pryor took over $2,500 according to the NCAA findings and he was only going to miss 5 games. Posey, Herron, Adams and Thomas took between $1,000 and $1,500 and are only going to miss 5 games. Jordan Whiting took about $150 in benefits and is missing the opener this Saturday. So the punishments there fit the crimes.

T

Its a little different to receive money thats not yours and selling personal property to get a tattoo.

im talking about the media side of things. its just a shame how we were destroyed by big media and this is taking a back seat to stories about jay cutlers diabetes. Its horseshit.

I think the media kinda wore themselves out on OSU. After all the OSU stuff we had UNC stuff, Oregon stuff and now a gigantic Miami story. But there's NFL pre-season football and the college season is fast approaching. From March through the summer there was NOTHING. Except for OSU. Definitely sucked.

Its a little different to receive money thats not yours and selling personal property to get a tattoo.

To us common folk, yes. To the NCAA, the money our players received for the gifts and awards they were given by the university is identical to any money a player receives from a booster. Hell, selling your awards and whatnot like our players did was perfectly acceptable up until I think 2004. I think a distinction should be made.

this is just player violations, not the ncaa investigation into the institution which is where we will find out how much of a back bone the ncaa really has.

side note 3 more players are suspended from akron for receiving 300 dollars in value from a chairty event from osu...

osu was "destroyed" by the media cuz you were on top.. dont think that you would even get a glance if you were sucking but when you buy players and are good people start to look deeper. if your team were legit and everything was on the up and up then you aka osu would have nothing to worry about.

I wish more osu fans would be a MAN and gentleman like Tressel, admit it and take your licks and move on. STOP WHINNING

side note 3 more players are suspended from akron for receiving 300 dollars in value from a chairty event from osu...

Less than $300.

And the word is that they were giving the swag for a donation amount higher than they gave or something like that.

A little ridic. I think in years past, they just would have been told to give it back and OSU would have asked for immediate reinstatement.

osu was "destroyed" by the media cuz you were on top.. dont think that you would even get a glance if you were sucking but when you buy players and are good people start to look deeper. if your team were legit and everything was on the up and up then you aka osu would have nothing to worry about.

I wish more osu fans would be a MAN and gentleman like Tressel, admit it and take your licks and move on. STOP WHINNING

Who do you root for in college football?