buying a car out of state...

xlr8tn

Buddy is going out of state to buy a vette. He doesn't know what to do about tags. I thought I'd read somewhere that you can drive it home on the title only and then get your Ohio title and tags here. Anyone know that for sure? I've been searching DMV's site but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet.

When I have a customer buy a car from me and they are out of state. We give them a 30 day tag. Till the Title gets worked out. Then they pay Taxes when they go to register their new car in their home states BMV.

So if it is through a dealer he should be good.

If through a Private Seller he should go with the seller to the BMV and get a temp plate from them.

I drove a car back from Alabama once. No plate, just had the title.

I could've sworn I read somewhere that you can do this......I'd just hate to get him in a bind over something that I'm not completely sure of. He already has a 98.....another option is to just carry those plates with him and don't speed. :D

I could've sworn I read somewhere that you can do this......I'd just hate to get him in a bind over something that I'm not completely sure of. He already has a 98.....another option is to just carry those plates with him and don't speed. :D

This works too. As long as he's got a bill of sale for the car he can use existing tags and if he gets pulled over state he's going to transfer to the new car during registration when he gets hom. I believe you have 30 days to transfer tags that way.

I was pulled over in my brother's M3 just after he purchased it. He had the tags from his Talon on it and though they wanted to see a bill of sale and run the VIN to make sure the car was not stolen he had no other issues with the tag being on there.

...or just ask the current owner if you can drive back on their tags. Done that twice now with no objections from the previous owner.

I've been told by many many policemen from different areas that having anything other than the 100% correct tags makes you guilty of having "Fictitious tags" which is far worse than having no tags. Sure you're more likely to draw more attention with no tags, but seriously just tell him to go to the BMV and get a 30-day tag. It's not worth potentially getting ticketed, impounded, having to tow, etc.

One asshole cop catches you and you're screwed. A cool one might let you slide.

Find out if Indiana requires a notary. If not, just have the seller sign over the title and have the buyer keep the tags. The tags go with the title in certain states. This is what I did when I got my car from Cali.

Or you could call the local DMV and ask them :)

I agree, with a car like that, go get the 30-day tags to bring it home. But of course, I would be putting that thing on a trailer to bring it home if it was me.

I offered to go out with the dirtymax and a trailer with him and tow it back but he's on vacation so him and his wife are flying out and then taking a few days to drive it back making some stops along the way. Nothing wrong with that either. Just needs to be legal I guess. Temp tags is probably the way to go.

I feel he got a fairly decent deal.....I don't want to post the price he paid but I feel he paid a fair price. He didn't steal it but he didn't overpay either. Has some pretty nice stuff done to it. Trickflow heads, hpe 408 build 7k miles ago, nitrous express direct port kit, big brake kit, LG tranny, rps stage 3 clutch, and a ton of other stuff.