Learn Me: SBC vs SBF

Rhett

Going to buy a bare block here soon. I do not have a car yet, but there are a few cars I would like to do with either motor. I know a little about the 302/351 but nothing about the SBC motors... I just know Sams 350 in his boat always blew up. :gabe:

It will be for mostly 1/4 or 1/8 maybe some low rolls. So I know the Gearing and trans will also be a huge factor.

So Learn me Pros and Cons of both and what is some of the better common builds.

sbc>sbf

sbc cheeper to build also.

thats all you need to know really.

This used to be the truth years ago but not really so much anymore.

302 block good to 500-550 rwhp 351 to 750rwhp

as for any other questions it all revolves around 3 things a: how you want to use it (WOT most of the time or street car) B: How much room you have in the engine bay (351 and 350 both use more room than a 302) C: How much $ you want to spend

For the price of building an iron block LS motor I wouldn't even bother with a SBC, they can be made to work well and are tried and true but starting from scratch especially on a budget the LS has more bang for the buck IMHO.

I helped my Dad build the 302 for his Mustang, and it's pretty similar to a SBC overall. They are more expensive to build then a SBC, to get good parts it's about what an LS motor costs. If you are starting from scratch then get a 351 windsor block as a better foundation, its just a better foundation.

So its not just that I'm partial to LS motors, but they are so much better stock that to get the same power out of the SBC/SBF compared to a bolt-on cammed LS, you'll have more money in it. You'd have to buy some nice heads for the old motors just to keep up with stock LS1 heads. You could buy good used parts for an LS motor, that cleaned up and installed correctly, would make good power, and most people think stock LS1 heads, stock cranks, rods, even pistons should be replaced for power. It just depends a lot on how much power you want to make.

Ok, where I am at right now... I am looking into how much money I can spend. So I am pricing things at... besides forums where is good places to find Motors? For SBF and SBC I am seeing a million on CraigsList.. but what about LS_ motors and trans? Would LS1tech be the best place?

Ok, where I am at right now... I am looking into how much money I can spend. So I am pricing things at... besides forums where is good places to find Motors? For SBF and SBC I am seeing a million on CraigsList.. but what about LS_ motors and trans? Would LS1tech be the best place?

The best place for LS motors is any junkyard that does a lot of trucks, iron block motors are getting so popular in junkyards they are getting pretty reasonable. A friend just picked up a 6.0L complete with a lot of miles for $600, so after a rebuild it'll be just like the one in my car. Some basic machine work, rods, pistons, and wear items (bearings, chain, ect) I had just over $3k in a longblock assembled myself. Doing a 5.3 would be even cheaper and could be overbored to hold LS1 pistons.

350>302 in pretty much every aspect. it will make more power for less money. hell i have my entire bottom and heads for my motor for a total of $1500 ish. i did get some stuff off friends for cheap, but other things ive also gone over board on (its a 383 for starters, so you wouldnt need that crank, and pretty much everything is forged)

for comparison though, my dads cam in his 302 cost him a little over $200, and mine was like $170

350>302 in pretty much every aspect. it will make more power for less money. hell i have my entire bottom and heads for my motor for a total of $1500 ish. i did get some stuff off friends for cheap, but other things ive also gone over board on (its a 383 for starters, so you wouldnt need that crank, and pretty much everything is forged)

for comparison though, my dads cam in his 302 cost him a little over $200, and mine was like $170

Why would you ever compare a 350 to a 302? 302 = 305 /351= 351

Why would you ever compare a 350 to a 302? 302 = 305 /351= 351

my bad, ill change it to SBC>SBF lol.

either way, they are still more expensive. also i dont know about after market heads, but stock 302/351 heads flow pretty good on the intake side, but not so much on the exaust.

Wrong you can pick up sbf cams for the same price dollar for dollar both motors are almost Even.

my bad, ill change it to SBC>SBF lol.

either way, they are still more expensive. also i dont know about after market heads, but stock 302/351 heads flow pretty good on the intake side, but not so much on the exaust.

302 and 351 are every where

finding a decent not beat to hell 350, well go find one

heads cost about the same

stroker kits cost about the same

cams cost the same, but its cheaper to have a roller cam sbf

put some cleveland heads on a winsor and tell me they dont flow

now, honesty you can make power with what ever! and make good power. sbf/sbc/lsx what ever. all matters on what you want.

now just to prove a point. how many guys on here could toss some spare 302 parts together and go 10's? on spray or with a turbo? (alot i'll beat) now try that with a sbc...might be better off starting with a lsx tho.