Downshifting with an Automatic?

acklac7

Been downshifting alot lately into 2nd when cornering/coming to a stop..Makes a world of difference in how the car handles. However I think i remember reading something about how doing so can possibly damage the trans somehow?

Thoughts?

while I know a fair amount transmissions im far from an expert, although im sure there are some on here, hence why I asked.

That

And I dont care if I blow up the trans, the plan from the start was to put a manual in it. I really just want to know what damage is possibly being done (excessive heat is the only thing I can think of) and if a synthetic fluid may be a better way to go?

• Downvote 1

Yes it will destroy the drums and clutches of the trans dude, also when the convertor locks up like that too many times it welds itself together and most likely will snap the propellor shaft. If you break the propshaft, you can expect to need new electronics like radio, window switches etc. Hope this helps.

Brakes,Manual Trans,Turbo are all on my wish list. As is a new paint job etc.

And the lex just seems to take corners much better in 2nd gear. Like little/no brakes, just riding second all the way through..Feels 10x more stable.

Edited by acklac7

I do it because the exhaust makes cool poppy noises and totally impresses the people around me. They're like god damn I wish I was him.

And yea, it sounds badass when the engine revs up all high n shit when I come around a corner.

yeah fuck yeah and all the married guys with minivans are like fuck my life I want to downshift around corners like a bad motherfucker

Funny story about our van. I had been driving the MS3 for a couple weeks and needed to take the van to the store. It's got plenty of torque an balls to move out but the downside to it's 5 speed auto is first gear is really short and went turning out of our street, unless I floor it like a teenager in a civic, it shifts too early and thus I lose a lot of the umph I like to have handy. However, I can use the sport mode and +/- on the shifter to hold first gear and that works for me as I can shift to 2nd at say 4,500rpm and cruise quietly from there.

So I pull out of our street, turn right and push first gear a bit more than 4500rpm because there's a guy coming up on me. No worries, again, plenty of get-up-and-go. However, I decided to keep the power on as he's hauling but and I need to hit 55mph or so. That said, my brain hit the clutch in prepration to nail 2nd gera hard......only the clutch in our van is the brake pedal :fuuuu::fuuuu:

I'm surprised the guy behind me didn't shit his pants and then come kick my ass. :lolguy:

I still laugh thinking about it. Brake check!

Funny story about our van. I had been driving the MS3 for a couple weeks and needed to take the van to the store. It's got plenty of torque an balls to move out but the downside to it's 5 speed auto is first gear is really short and went turning out of our street, unless I floor it like a teenager in a civic, it shifts too early and thus I lose a lot of the umph I like to have handy. However, I can use the sport mode and +/- on the shifter to hold first gear and that works for me as I can shift to 2nd at say 4,500rpm and cruise quietly from there.

So I pull out of our street, turn right and push first gear a bit more than 4500rpm because there's a guy coming up on me. No worries, again, plenty of get-up-and-go. However, I decided to keep the power on as he's hauling but and I need to hit 55mph or so. That said, my brain hit the clutch in prepration to nail 2nd gera hard......only the clutch in our van is the brake pedal :fuuuu::fuuuu:

I'm surprised the guy behind me didn't shit his pants and then come kick my ass. :lolguy:

I still laugh thinking about it. Brake check!

I do this all the time in the fiances car coming off onramps or up to stop lights thinking i need to downshift. it sucks. You get into a rhythem driving and all of a sudden you forget its an auto.

I do it because the exhaust makes cool poppy noises and totally impresses the people around me. They're like god damn I wish I was him.

yeah fuck yeah and all the married guys with minivans are like fuck my life I want to downshift around corners like a bad motherfucker

:lolguy:

I seriously lol'd pretty hard

If you drive an automatic you can tab on the brake pedal and then just put it into neutral than back into gear and your friends will think you have a manual. :fuckyeah:

Brians comments in this thread are priceless cause I don't think the guy gets it. :lolguy:

If you drive an automatic you can tab on the brake pedal and then just put it into neutral than back into gear and your friends will think you have a manual. :fuckyeah:

Brians comments in this thread are priceless cause I don't think the guy gets it. :lolguy:

Dude I know I lol'd too