Advice needed

crummer

What's a tactical rail? Does it dress in 5.11 pants and have a plate carrier? We talking long gun or handgun?

Maybe it is called a Weaver rail? Is that the proper name for the triangular shaped rail which makes it easy to attach accessories?

Agreed lasers may not be the best option, but my thought was that it may give the shooter better odds of hitting a target in a low light situation. But then again a shotgun would increase the odds as well.

I watched a guy use a laser on a pistol at a range recently. Not experienced either, which led me to believe that lots of practice would be required to learn how to shoot with sights first. Then transition to a laser, because I could tell the dude was concentrating on keeping the laser steady when what we probably should have been doing is focusing more on the target. Oh and not to mention learning how to pull the trigger without whole hand movement. Once he switched it off he started doing okay.

I could be entirely wrong though, I've never used a laser on a pistol, only rifles which are much more stable.

but my thought was that it may give the shooter better odds of hitting a target in a low light situation.

Practice will help this problem. So will nightsights. So will a weaponlight. Don't get hung up on tactikewl accessory BS, especially for a defense gun. Go with something simple that works.

Spend the money on training.

I watched a guy use a laser on a pistol at a range recently. Not experienced either, which led me to believe that lots of practice would be required to learn how to shoot with sights first. Then transition to a laser, because I could tell the dude was concentrating on keeping the laser steady when what we probably should have been doing is focusing more on the target. Oh and not to mention learning how to pull the trigger without whole hand movement. Once he switched it off he started doing okay.

I could be entirely wrong though, I've never used a laser on a pistol, only rifles which are much more stable.

One thing lasers are good for is dry fire practice. You can hold the laser on a fixed point and easily tell if you are pulling it off target with your trigger squeeze.

For defense shooting, they are really not very helpful. Fun to play with, but not very practical. As you mentioned, you'll be focussed on the target - or should be - not on where the laser is.

If you're looking for SD/HD lasers and nightsights are worthless IMO. A light, not on steady either, is the only other thing I might even think about aside from my pistol. If I have to draw and fire to protect myself or my wife I won't have time to turn on a laser or acquire a sight picture so standard sights are fine by me.

As it was already said, spend the cash on training and practicing without a light, laser, or night sights. Build muscle memory.

If you're looking for SD/HD lasers and nightsights are worthless IMO. A light, not on steady either, is the only other thing I might even think about aside from my pistol. If I have to draw and fire to protect myself or my wife I won't have time to turn on a laser or acquire a sight picture so standard sights are fine by me.

As it was already said, spend the cash on training and practicing without a light, laser, or night sights. Build muscle memory.

You into shooting shadows and silhouettes?

You are not wrong at all. The laser will screw with you more than anything. Especially if your new to shooting.

I agree with the laser but the G17 beside my bed has a streamlight and some trijicon night sights. If I'm shooting from concealment which is pitch black into a lighted area I would rather use my sights than be point shooting.

The laser the dude at the range used activated simply by gripping the pistol like normal. I don't remember the brand name.

I have considered a flashlight to put on my M&P .45's accessory rail, but still probably just something to get in the way.

I guess from the comments we are not talking about a rifle. You already mentioned it wasn't a shotgun so pistol? If you are worried about low light I would suggest a handheld surefire flashlight and a pistol. If you hold the flashlight like a cigar and the pistol at the same time you can control everything without fumbling around. I want a laser on my carry gun only to show my threat that I am confronting them. Hopefully that is enough to get them to back down. I don't want a laser to "help me shoot better". I already know how to shoot in a straight line.

Never used a laser on a handgun, due to the fact I consider it to be defensive by nature. Never seen a practical use of a laser, again due to the close range a handgun would be utilized for. I've used IR lasers on everything from an M2 to an M4 due to the use of night vision. Not to mention the fact it does illuminate a target in the dead of night.

There's been a billion debates about lights, but in my own experience, they work. Not only for target acquisition, but it is also that saving grace keeping you from making a judgement error. At times, it is an element of surprise if using the right light, but rarely would you be in a offensive position, especially with a handgun. I have a Surefire on my bedside Glock, a Surefire on my AR, and a Surefire on my 870. I'm a fan of A product that always worked and saved lives.

I just took my ACOG of my M4 and I'm back to iron sites. I don't think I'm going back to red dot,CCO. I just like how the iron sites are dialed in. I have a laser for marking and for EOF, but I'm done with gadgetry. I run a light for when I need it and the laser is with me, not on my weapon. When I get back hame, no laser on a rifle and I do have one on a P22 that's just for fun. Night sights is where it's at.

Scotty, always a pleasure relating to your post's so I don't have to write so much.

Many others in here are right on. I hope to get a range day together with some people next year.

Edited by Mojoe
add info

i picked up a blackhawk tac light for my glock. Works great and am very happy with it.

PS i never understood why anyone bothers with night sights on a home defense hand gun. Your going to be less than 20 feet away and have time to line up your sights? get a good tac light and call it a day.

i picked up a blackhawk tac light for my glock. Works great and am very happy with it.

PS i never understood why anyone bothers with night sights on a home defense hand gun. Your going to be less than 20 feet away and have time to line up your sights? get a good tac light and call it a day.

Try both and get back to me. Especially if you shoot a variety of platforms, things can point in wildly different directions and having sights you can see instantly sure is useful. For me, I can pick up a tritium front sight faster than I can get a light on, find the sights, and get them on target. If a light works best for you then great.

A good light on your HD handgun/shotgun or even a rifle can have its uses, but I see no point in a laser. Invest in night sights if you want and a good light and you will have the best HD IMO. I have good lights on my mossy 500 and XDM .40 and wouldnt have it anyother way.

You into shooting shadows and silhouettes?

1) I said I'd use a light if the situation and time allowed.

2) You into taking time to fumble with a light when it's not necessary? Yeah, me neither.

Thank you.

You guys talking about seeing your sights, I'm left to assume your instructor didn't show you how quickly someone can close the gap from 20, 15, 10, 7, and 3 feet. If they did you'd see that reacting, drawing, and getting a sight picture isn't practical. Night sights are a waste...unless you all are getting mugged in dark alleys from 50 feet by someone with a walker.

We did a drill where we had to walk through the room and someone in the group had to make a threatening sound and approach us at a brisk walk, not a run, from 7 feet out. By the time you reacted, drew your weapon, and put it on target they were touching you. Run this drill and see.

IF you have time to acquire sights you REALLY need to think about whether or not you actually need to pull the trigger.

The tac light I agree with to an extent, but what I was saying is it depends on the situation. I have one by the bed but the surefire is too big to carry. Also, learn how to use a light. Just like a pistol or a knife if, God forbid, a break in does occur a light left on sweeping the house only serves to give away location.