Learn me some scoobies

Jizzle Juice

Tickling the idea of getting one. I LOVE the way the flat 4 sounds. I don't want Crazy power, but want something that will be fun and enjoyable on the street.

So in my quest of finding one what should i be looking for or straying away from. Any info would be helpful, and please don't shit in this thread, i just want answers not your opinion on what's alot better than this. Like i said tickling the idea so it isnt a set thought yet

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A stage 2 Subaru is stupid reliable, and you can expect 100k miles no question. Read the entirety of NASIOC.com's forums and you'll be set!

300 wheel horsepower is completely achievable without sacrificing anything, and your car will still be a breeze to drive in the snow.

Any pre-2008 Subaru with a cold air intake has either had some serious modifications done to it, or the internals have been beat to piss. CAIs were highly NOT recommended for pre-2008s, unless you had a 400+ HP build.

Don't be afraid of FMICs, they're actually a lot easier to work with than the stock TMIC setup - but obviously it's more piping to inspect, and is typically signs of a stage 3+ car, which may have been trashed.

ALSO: Any air flow related modification (exhaust, downpipe, uppipe, anything...) absolutely NEEDS to be tuned for, or you can expect some trouble.

Direct answer: No. To really get some use out of a bigger turbo, you're going to need either a FMIC setup, or a larger surface area TMIC. Almost every larger TMIC is going to require custom pipework, and even then, there's countless cases of fitment issues and whatnot all over NASIOC. It's not impossible though, just not probable. If you're gonna upgrade the turbo, save the headache and get a FMIC.

However, if you're looking at either an STi or a more recent WRX, the stock turbo can truly take a beating. Very reputable tuners have been able to churn out 350-400 AWHP out of the stock turbo, granted that's going to require full bolt ons, larger fuel pump, e85 likely, etc.

So a bigger turbo and big top mount is out the question or.....

What year are you looking at? If you want a pre-2008, a TMIC is a stupid easy and reliable mod (just get an STi TMIC). If its a 2008+, I'd say screw it and go with a FMIC. I've had nothing but trouble with my aftermarket TMIC, and even my stock one. If I didn't have an annoying boost leak I'd let you drive my car. Stay away from 02's.

Go 06+, 2.5 is torquey. Tons of reputable vendors, lots of support.

Common mod faq's here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

I am going suspension first, then power. Right now I have just a few mods for comfort, and it is a great DD. No problems whatsoever. Trans is a bit notchy, but you've had a T56 so you understand it.

Ask slomo about my built motor. My 08 blew out 2 cylinders at 32k miles then went built. That's the only way id do another STi. Stock turbo is what ever. Better to go bigger with injectors and front mount. Personally I think any stock motor is on borrowed time even at stage 2. I drove mine the way it was meant to and it popped early.

you can't down shift into first when moving in them. that sucks big time if you want to autocross it.

Incorrect. That was an issue with earlier ones. I know that at least the 08+'s can in fact do this. Also, my intercooler insight is based on stock turbo, with the 08+ cars you're extremely limited on turbo options with a stock style TMIC, making it all but necessary to go FMIC if you want a bigger turbo.

I dont care how big your TMIC is, it WILL heat soak. If you are going to pull off the stock TMIC, just do a FMIC.

Brandon, Idk how well you know Drew aka liftedram98 on here, but he has about the cheapest / best bolt on bugeye Ive seen. Ebay 16g, godspeed FMIC, External gate and knockoff Tial BOV, 3inch turbo back and tune put him at 330hp/320tq. Keep in mind thats on the 2L motor.

We currently have a 2.5 hawkeye at the shop with damn near the same build minus the external gate and was throwing down ~355tq/320hp before the ECU took a shit.

Subarus are pretty easy to make good numbers.

EDIT: Posted by Marty on Drews name lol

Edited by liftedram98
wrong username haha

I dont care how big your TMIC is, it WILL heat soak. If you are going to pull off the stock TMIC, just do a FMIC.

Brandon, Idk how well you know Drew aka liftedram98 on here, but he has about the cheapest / best bolt on bugeye Ive seen. Ebay 16g, godspeed FMIC, External gate and knockoff Tial BOV, 3inch turbo back and tune put him at 330hp/320tq. Keep in mind thats on the 2L motor.

We currently have a 2.5 hawkeye at the shop with damn near the same build minus the external gate and was throwing down ~355tq/320hp before the ECU took a shit.

Subarus are pretty easy to make good numbers.

EDIT: Posted by Marty on Drews name lol

This should not be your goal though, especially on the 2.0 .

How about a 'why' instead of an open statement like that. ^^^

Because first of all, going for numbers is gayer than 8 guys fucking 9 guys. Second, the bottom end of 2.0's like to let go. So unless your favorite engine oil is shrapnel, I wouldn't do it.

actually I have found that 2.5 bottom's tend to go quicker than 2.0's, I'm at 330 whp and 320 tq on 168,000 and have been for some time on my 2.0, not saying it's a "numbers" goal as it's more of what better suit's your driving habits and what yeilds reliability. I built a 07 STI for a customer that's throwing 536 whp on stock bottom end, not saying how long it will last but it's what he wanted. Motors go out stock or go out modded, crap shoot, but modded will get you worse odds. Brandon you know me and you know I don't own/build slow cars and my stuff dosen't blow up, I think all opinion's here have been valid and should be considered. All comes down to what you want, call me man let's get some beer's and talk subie's

A stage 2 Subaru is stupid reliable, and you can expect 100k miles no question. Read the entirety of NASIOC.com's forums and you'll be set!

300 wheel horsepower is completely achievable without sacrificing anything, and your car will still be a breeze to drive in the snow.

Any pre-2008 Subaru with a cold air intake has either had some serious modifications done to it, or the internals have been beat to piss. CAIs were highly NOT recommended for pre-2008s, unless you had a 400+ HP build.

Don't be afraid of FMICs, they're actually a lot easier to work with than the stock TMIC setup - but obviously it's more piping to inspect, and is typically signs of a stage 3+ car, which may have been trashed.

ALSO: Any air flow related modification (exhaust, downpipe, uppipe, anything...) absolutely NEEDS to be tuned for, or you can expect some trouble.

You sound like you are educated on subie's and have valid info, but for shit's sake stop saying "stage" 1,2,3 or F-ING one billion stage !!! I hate that and I'm a subie owner ! not mad just friggin hate that, no stage's that's for SRT-4 people, just list the mod's