Learn me some scoobies

Jizzle Juice

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound like you are educated on subie's and have valid info, but for shit's sake stop saying "stage" 1,2,3 or F-ING one billion stage !!! I hate that and I'm a subie owner ! not mad just friggin hate that, no stage's that's for SRT-4 people, just list the mod's

Heh, sorry. Just reread that and you're right, especially for someone trying to learn how to Subaru. I've been alt-tabbing between here and NASIOC all day :masturboy:

Brandon - By stage 2 I meant catback exhaust and downpipe//turboback, whatever. Stage 3 I meant that plus fuel pump, injectors, etc. Also, I forgot to mention, but you'd probably want to avoid a car with a blow off valve. They won't hurt if done properly, but can wreck havoc on the engine very easily. Generally not worth buying a car with one already on it. Subarus are just very sensitive to any air flow changes and need to be handled with care. That's not to say they can't take them (of course) though.

Sorry.

I have an 2004 STi and haven’t had any problems. Power wise it is pure stock. I have replaced some of if not all of the bushings in the car and put a harness bar and a five point harness in it. The car has 1 auto cross, 5ish trips to the drag strip and 35+ road course track days and is running damn good. She is eating some oil but that is to be expected when it has been ran that hard in its life. Also being an oil cooled turbo doesn’t help.

Much like everyone else has said the older ones have issues with head gaskets going out. That isn’t 100% across the board but it happens often. However, if you’re at all handy with a wrench buy one that is blown replace it and wham bam thank you ma’am you have yourself a nice DD on the cheap. The 04 STi has front bearing issues on most of them. I have been lucky. The 05+ STi has the 5X114 bolt pattern wheels/larger hubs with better bearings and does not have this problem. 05+ STI’s are the only ones with the updated bolt pattern ALL other makes and models have the 5X100. Which is why you will pay out the ass for a set of 04 STi BBS wheels 5X100 cause everybody wants one for their WRX, Forester etc, etc.

Also the 04 to 06? For sure the 04 and 05 have rear strut clunk issues. This does NOT effect performance at all but can get a little annoying. I have repacked my rear struts once and need to do it again. That will fix it for a while but the sure fix is to go with coilovers.

Everyone else is correct with what they have said. BOV are a no-no with a Subaru unless its tuned the same day it is put on. That doesn’t normally happen. Anything added to the car WILL need a tune. A COBB Access Port can be your friend but so can open source tuning. Adding a CIA is not needed the stock airbox is good to something like 400 WHP but it you want to again must be tuned.

I could go in to other things but you would have to tell us what you are looking at doing. If it is a WRX what year, or a Forester same thing there, what year? The Subaru brand within its self is much like LEGO’s you can pull parts from the different year STi’s (or STI depending on the year) and bolt them up to the WRX, Forester, Legacy or Baja.

And during that one Auto Cross I did, I had NO problem rev matching the car down in to first gear. Sure was fun coming out of that 180 degree turn sideways.

Edited by OrangeDot3083

I have a 2007 Legacy and had a 1999 Legacy GT before this one. Drove the hell out of it, like 20,000 + miles a year. Took care of it. replace what needed replaced and had it 5 years with no unusual issues at 176,xxx miles when I got rid of it. That said, now I have a lightly modded specB with a proper tune and it is by far my favorite car I have ever owned. I looked for this car for 18 months. Just make sure you get what you want with the car and take care of it the way it needs to be. You can roll around at 300 whp still be reliable, and have ok gas mileage.

So Brandon, I suppose it would be best to start by buying a car than modifying.

Do you want a Legacy or an Impreza? This will tell the above posters which motor to argue over.

You should try to find one without rust at the back of the rear fenders, you should be looking for a car with minimal to no modifications. Thats my opinion as a MAJORITY of modified turbo Subaru's are hack job cars. Just my opinion based on what I have looked at.

As far as head gaskets go, if taken proper care of, the DOHC motors are really good about keeping head gaskets and not needing them unless the coolant is not changed on time, it is over-revved, or any other DRIVER error that could result in blown head gaskets. This is presuming the car has been "stock", or lightly modified. For example I serviced head gaskets on a STi intercooler/turbo/injectors/exhaust modded WRX that was modified early on and made it until about 90K then had a miss-shift on track. If it wasn't for that they were dry as a bone on the outside.

The SOHC motors like to eat them around 70-90K usually right before your timing belt service.

Oh, by the way you should seek records of timing belt around the 105K mark on all motors. Spark plugs are every 30K on turbo DOHC motors.

I presume you want a newer one and from what I have seen they do not have the rear wheel bearing failure rate that the older rear disc brake cars did.

You should make sure that the car has 4 matching size/manufacturer and relatively equal tread tires as they are AWD.

Thats all for now feel free to ask questions from a maintenance aspect to me. As I haven't quite evolved into the whole turbo car modification thing yet. Just servicing.

Thants for all the input. I'm torn between searching a legacy or a sti, i will not get a wrx at all. From what im reading it's pointless. Im leaning more towards aleagcy to be honest. I love the way they look plus not many of those running around town. Drew, ill get in touch with you soon. Sean, im sure ill talk to you soon also. I am mechaniclly incline so i can fix things that arent too time consuming and doesnt need a lift(i could get access) Seqan i think i still have your number.

What would be a good place to search fro said cars other than craigs? Im not on anytype of other car forums that have scoobies.

The evo comment, yes it would be nice for an evo, but the roomate has one so i gotta be diff, and I know a few fast ass ones and i'd just rush into things and not think them through to get to a fast point.

Thants for all the input. I'm torn between searching a legacy or a sti, i will not get a wrx at all.

There is a reason people say "ST-Why?"....isnt there?

Pretty sure some track (not the strip) results of the new STI vs WRX put the WRX only a few seconds behind the STI.

There is a reason people say "ST-Why?"....isnt there?

Pretty sure some track (not the strip) results of the new STI vs WRX put the WRX only a few seconds behind the STI.

Car and Driver's Lightning Lap had the 2011 WRX 3 seconds slower than the STi. And for $7k, you can EASILY make up 3 seconds... and there's a few "official" quarter mile tests that show the 2010+ WRX as fast or even faster than the STi.

Car and Driver's Lightning Lap had the 2011 WRX 3 seconds slower than the STi. And for $7k, you can EASILY make up 3 seconds... and there's a few "official" quarter mile tests that show the 2010+ WRX as fast or even faster than the STi.

But im not looking new at all guys, so lets say older WRX's compared to STI's if i go that route

Pre 2008, the numbers are nowhere close. The WRXs, at least in stock form, were turds. But they could be built (read: COMPLETELY rebuilt) to make stupid power, just like any turbo car. Honestly based on what you're saying, it sounds like you should get a 2005ish Legacy GT, get a catback/turboback exhaust, and have a blast. There's tons of aftermarket support, albeit a little less than the WRX/STi platform, but still plenty of choices and lots of quality parts.

Suspension and handling though, is a whole 'nother story. Pre 2011, from a WRX anyway, don't expect much. STis were fine obviously. I know you're saying used, but if there's any possible way you could afford it, the 2011 WRX would not dissappoint. It was a pretty huge upgrade.

If the legacy is a consideration then why not looking inti G8's, evos, or Mazda speed 6's? There are a lot of choices out there now. Take your time and drive all of the cars that you would even consider. You may find something that you didn't even think of all the sudden become a great deal.