Beware! Who wants the Conficker worm on April 1st?

NinjaNick

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What 60 Minutes didn't say last night is that this is only on Window's machines. And Microsoft has already had a patch fix out for this malware. If your Window's machine is up to date and has the latest patches then you'll be fine.

We have been laughing about that 60 minutes piece all day today. We watched it online and had some good laughs at the expense of CBS.

Soooo.... I'm running Vista with all the current updates, Windows Defender, and all that jazz, I should be okay? I can get to all those sites and updated my VDB earlier today and scanned (does it automatically while I'm at work) and everything came up clean.

This may seem like to simple of a fix but i'll say it anyway.

If this thing is said to :monkeypoo: in our PC's on April 1st. Why not just change the date on your PC to April 2nd, then when it changes to April 3rd just change it back to April 2nd again & job done, April 1st never existed.

:bow: Damn I'm good

Now I am sure there is a very good reson why this will not work but as of yet have not seen it so please feel free to tell me why not..........

If this thing is said to :monkeypoo: in our PC's on April 1st. Why not just change the date on your PC to April 2nd, then when it changes to April 3rd just change it back to April 2nd again & job done, April 1st never existed.

Now I am sure there is a very good reson why this will not work but as of yet have not seen it so please feel free to tell me why not..........

I'm sure the virus looks to see if the current data is greater than April 1st.

What won't work? Turning your PC off tonight and back on on April 2 will not protect you from the worm (sorry to the dozens of people who wrote me asking if this would do the trick). Temporarily disconnecting your computer from the web won't help if the malware is already on your machine -- it will simply activate once you connect again. Changing the date on your PC will likely have no helpful effect, either. And yes, Macs are immune this time out. Follow the above instructions to detect and remove the worm.

Source: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/132464