Big FU**ing Fail NTB

STEVE-O

Yrs I am posting this from their waiting room an hour after they close lol long story short I drop two struts off already disassembled all I need is for them to be put back together. Three hours later no phone call nothing I arrive 15 before closing time. I wait around to find out they are not done, they stripped one of the struts so they can not pit It back together. I have to drive down to advanced because no one else is open, spend way more than what I can normally get a strut for and now here I sit still not donr with a 20 minute job almost 4 and a half hours later. Will keep updated when i finally get out of here

Scarborough

Surprise surprise. Three weeks ago they told me I needed new inner and outer tie rod ends. I'd brought the car in for an alignment after replacing guess what? They took a vehicle with one side slightly negative camber and both a little toed in, and gave it back with MORE negative camber, plus some positive on the other side, AND a steering wheel 15-20* off center and covered in gunk.

from an NTB standpoint..

they shouldnt have even been doing anything like that with loose parts. if and when i have in my store its been on a "help out" basis and I wouldnt have taken on the ...heres my parts put them all back together even though you dont know how or in what order they came apart

task.

that being said, they took on the task feeling they could do it and something got stripped i dont see why they didnt run a die over it and clean up the threads.

all ntb's are not created equal, but people do make mistakes, even the good ones, its just what they do to fix the problem.

sorry my phone died while in thier waiting room lol I left ntb around 735.

I could not agree with your statement an more derek. My biggest problem with the situation was I waited more than long enough for the job to be done. The store was supposed to close at 6pm, at 545 I had not gotten a phone call or anything so I drive to the store, sit in the waiting area until 615. I go up to the desk and ask whats going on? then they tell me the threads on the strut are stripped. I look at the strut the second thread from the top is a little messed up, its not bad so I was wondering the same thing clean the threads up done deal.

My thoughts were going to be the same D about loose parts thats why I called before I started any of this with them I even went to the guy that was going to perform the work and put on together for him minus tightening the nut on top etc ( the reason I went to them in the first place)

And yes they did not handle it in any sort of mannor I felt to be professional. I wish they would have let me just walk back and do it myself.

Needless to say I will NEVER go back to THAT ntb again. Also there was a van there getting a alignment done wich was suppossed to be picked up ready at 530 here it was 7:00 they are still in the waiting room waiting for it to be done only to at about 7;05 have the service guy come out and say we found your tie rod is bad.... I was glad to see I was not the only one they were FU**ing over. these people came in at 3:30 to get a alignment and were supposed to be done at 5:30 not over a hour and a half later your just now telling them they ahve a bad tie rod end and you can not do the alignment??? Sorry this NTB is now on the list of only 2 places I would NEVER for any reason go to again. ( Other was a certaint eating establishment off of hilliard rome that has now closed wonder why)

Sorry Derek for other places giving you guys a bad name but they were horrible in my experience and I have a lot of patience with customer service.

how did they even strip them? they've got a monopoly of tools its not like at home where you use a sae instead of a metric and not a 6pt...etc. etc..

i had a problem with ntb like that before just getting 1 tire mounted and balanced, took them 4 hours and they didnt call me i had to get it the next day, all of them are created unequal

how did they even strip them? they've got a monopoly of tools its not like at home where you use a sae instead of a metric and not a 6pt...etc. etc..

i had a problem with ntb like that before just getting 1 tire mounted and balanced, took them 4 hours and they didnt call me i had to get it the next day, all of them are created unequal

I know no shit right? I am not joking when I say I went to the strut machine with the tech doing the work I set all the pieces together for him all he had to do was tighten it up. I agve him the new nut in the bag still the struts came with. the only reason I couldnt do this job was I didnt have the tool to keep the strut from spinning around tats why I took it to NTB.

And I understand a shop needs to make money etc but Just for my own info etc I called the ntb in canal and priced out how much this job would cost to have them do it completely and was quoted 1,014.77... I about shit myself knowing I had less than 400 in the job even after paying the bs 72 bucks to ntb for the assembly of the struts.

Maybe because NTB is a chain, but I would consider assembling a strut a relatively simple task for a shop to perform that typically a DIY guy/gal can't perform without a spring compressor.

Just like bringing a stack of wheels/tires already off the car to be mounted.

OR pressing a ball joint out of a knuckle and a new one in.....

Sounds like a typical inexperienced technique of starting a nut on a bolt/stud with the impact instead of your hand.

Sounds like a thread file would have taken care of it.....something Nicky and I were talking about the other night. Cheap, but very effective.

Maybe because NTB is a chain, but I would consider assembling a strut a relatively simple task for a shop to perform that typically a DIY guy/gal can't perform without a spring compressor.

Just like bringing a stack of wheels/tires already off the car to be mounted.

OR pressing a ball joint out of a knuckle and a new one in.....

Not completely, I trust that you've assembled plenty of struts over the years as have I. There are plenty of them that have 2 and 3 washer that go in different places, above and below dust boots, under and over mounts or bearings.

So its not as simple as saying tire/wheel, or ball joint/ knuckle where there are only 2 parts and one way it can go back together.

also.. seve-o, did you get them apart without using a spring compressor?

Next time if anyone is thinking of having a shop do this kind of work, take them a complete assembly.

Sorry Derek for other places giving you guys a bad name but they were horrible in my experience and I have a lot of patience with customer service.

Don't sweat it, stores seem to earn they're own rep even having the same name on the front.

Not completely, I trust that you've assembled plenty of struts over the years as have I. There are plenty of them that have 2 and 3 washer that go in different places, above and below dust boots, under and over mounts or bearings.

So its not as simple as saying tire/wheel, or ball joint/ knuckle where there are only 2 parts and one way it can go back together.

Understood, just part of the challenge of helping out DIY people, as I am sure you know since your policies reflect that.

In my experiences most all Chain stores suck big donkey balls. Derrick's store is the exception since he runs it to his own rules and also like a small shop. I have had issues at that ntb and the one on 256 when for ether time restraints or laps in judgment I didn't go downtown.

They all have thier good and bads.

I took both our cars to the Mr Tire up by New Albany since it was very close to where we lived. Why?... because I was in a bind once with getting the top nuts tight on my coilovers for a previous car, and they went ahead and put them together for free!

Then they screwed up both current cars the same day we took them in! Oh well. Bad part was we moved away 500 miles the next day.