Valve adjustment on my ZRX (anyone want to check my math?)

thomez

im positive that the cams must come out. once i got the gas tank, air box, throttle bodies, radiator and valve cover out of the way the valve clearance doesn't seem nearly as hard.

I just called cleveland akron honda and they said they'll swap me shims no problem, so im not too worried about getting the right ones. Im just worried about getting all the clearances properly measured and once im sure of that then i can pull the cams and buckets out to measure the shims.

Exhausts are sopposed to be from like .009 to .012 and the intakes at like .007 to .009 or something like that and my exhausts are like at .007 and the intakes are around .004.

It seems easier too doing it bit by bit, I started taking the bike apart last tuesday and as long as you dont try to get it all done at once it takes a bit of the load off your mind. I just have to keep telling myself to take my time...

im positive that the cams must come out. once i got the gas tank, air box, throttle bodies, radiator and valve cover out of the way the valve clearance doesn't seem nearly as hard.

that stinks, cause it appears to be a very easy job on the ZRX comparatively .... I removed the gas tank and a fan shroud and just had to pull some other stuff out the way.... valve cover came right out the left side.... then it's all gravy

good deal on the shims though, I probably could have found someone to do so as well but I didn't think anyone would take my shims because they didn't have the sizes on them anywhere and most didn't seem to quite conform to the normal sizes they sell them as

yeah i measured them all but im just not confident on my measurements. first guage drags a bit, second gauge drags and feels healthy and the third still fits but drags too much it feels like. I think i got it good. I just measured them all twice and thats it for today. Going to measure them again and when im sure i got it right then ill pull the cams and check the shims. I have been workin slowly for like 5 days so it seems pretty manageable. Definitely worth saving the 8 hours of labor at whatever ungodly rate the dealer charges.

I have Sills Honda pretty close to me so i called to ask about the adjustment and after he quoted 3 (check) and 5 (adjust) i said i had my bike part and am checking the clearances, hoping they would take the bike as it sits and just check the valves and adjust them but dude "doesnt even want to touch it" because i opened it up already. seemed kind of like a prick. I bet if i put it all back together he wouldnt have a problem charging me 3-500 bucks to adjust them