Car Insurance and Registration in different states??

iwashmycar

Here's the deal... I moved to SC. More likely than not for good.

I changed car insurance to SC in case of an accident.

My registration in OH expires in December. It'll cost like 50 bucks for new stickers. I still have the OH drivers license good for a few more years.

Down here they have Property Taxes. It would be at least 5-600+ bucks to pay them and get SC plates. We just did my wifes car which is worth next to nothing, so that was ok... was about 80 bucks.

I have my license and registration address as my parents OH address since through college and even today I am renting and do not like to associate important shit with rental addresses.

Question for the masses: Would you just go to OPlates and reissue stickers, or fork out the cash? They do say to get SC plates within 45 days of moving, but there really is not much a way to prove it since I am renting (from some old lady, not a company) If I get a house all this would change... Cannot imagine the property taxes on a house lol.

I do know the right answer is to pay out the ass to SC for plates, but it seems a lot of people register out of state to get around them.

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by iwashmycar

If you claim your parents address as your permanent address I don't think there would be a problem with this. It would be like having a summer house and your vehicle being registered to a winter home. I know when I lived in Chicago for school (18 months) I kept Ohio tags on my car with no problems (even when I was pulled over multiple times for speeding, etc.).

I guess my problem is I am not affiliated with the millitary or school, though I am technically employed by my company in OH. They have me paying SC income tax however.

I know people do that summer/winter house stuff all the time. Like the retirees down in FL.. many seem to use other states for registration from what I have dug out of the internet lol

If you want to avoid a lot of headaches in the future, I would just get the SC plates. Ohio really doesn't verify this stuff very well and probably would never find out, but we are very lax when it comes to registration and insurance here. South Carolina is a whole other ballgame though. They have a state database of cars insured in SC, and they will know if your car is insured in the state but not registered. No one can say for sure if anything would ever come of it, but I'm of the opinion that it's better to pay a little extra and do it the right way then have to deal with the lovely DMV later on.

Here's the deal... I moved to SC. More likely than not for good.

I changed car insurance to SC in case of an accident.

My registration in OH expires in December. It'll cost like 50 bucks for new stickers. I still have the OH drivers license good for a few more years.

Down here they have Property Taxes. It would be at least 5-600+ bucks to pay them and get SC plates. We just did my wifes car which is worth next to nothing, so that was ok... was about 80 bucks.

I have my license and registration address as my parents OH address since through college and even today I am renting and do not like to associate important shit with rental addresses.

Question for the masses: Would you just go to OPlates and reissue stickers, or fork out the cash? They do say to get SC plates within 45 days of moving, but there really is not much a way to prove it since I am renting (from some old lady, not a company) If I get a house all this would change... Cannot imagine the property taxes on a house lol.

I do know the right answer is to pay out the ass to SC for plates, but it seems a lot of people register out of state to get around them.

Thanks for any insight.

legally you need to surrender you Ohio license and plates and get SC ones as you are now a resident of SC.

Makes the most sense. I will probably just head in tomorrow and see what the damage is!

Least thier plates are cooler than ours, and rear only. I also noticed they are made of aluminum I think... very light when I picked it up... threw me off lol