Jeep People

wagner

I have a co-worker who had the TCM go out in 05 Cherokee, it is 4WD.

Is this a common problem with these? Anybody work at a Dodge dealership that can get her the hookup on the part?

I don't have a ton of expereince with these so was not sure what to tell her. She is very nice and I would like to help her out if possible.

thanks,

They have most common issues with the Transmission selector shorting out, because its electronic.. Not sure if thats your issue, but most people take it apart and clean the contacts and it works good..

Its a 600$ replaceable part

Not sure if this shows on here.. but this is some info with pictures on what happens to the electronic shifter module http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32822&highlight=electronic+shift+module

I havent heard of them going out on a lot of them... I thought there was a reflash for the tcm maybe?

Who diagnosed it? - as in are you sure its the TCM that needs replaced?

That is what the first dealer tolder her I think. I will relay this information to her and see.

Here is the extra information she gave me:

I took it to the dealership and their diagnostic test showed a TCM issue. They reset it ( I think that’s that they called it) and said if that didn’t work they would have to replace the TCM. It’s been fine for a couple of weeks but the light came on last night. All of the gears (P,N,R,D) were flashing and all light up and I could hardly get the car to move.

Sounds to me like the module I sent you... Normally when the module is going bad, it gots into limp mode at random times.. and the squared around the prnd display are missing..

I could be wrong but thats where I would start.. Sorry I dont work at dodge and cant get you any better pricing on stuff..

Sounds to me like the module I sent you... Normally when the module is going bad, it gots into limp mode at random times.. and the squared around the prnd display are missing..

I could be wrong but thats where I would start.. Sorry I dont work at dodge and cant get you any better pricing on stuff..

Yeah after I talked with her more I think you are correct. The SUV does not go into limp mode all the time just radnom like it does not know what gear its in.

Thank you for your help, if anything else comes up I will post.