mid length handguard on 16" A2 CAR?

Cereal_Killer

I was wanting to free float my rifle that has fixed sights (standard "F" front sight base) and a CAR length gas system. I was wondering if a mid length would work with the sight, the specific hand guard I am looking at only comes in mid or rifle length and I didnt even think about if it'll work or not till I was sitting here about to place the order.

I am wanting a RRA Half Quad but if I'd have to loose my front sight I'll have to find something else.

Edited by Cereal_Killer

As long as the handguard you're looking at has a notch to slide around the FSB, you'll be fine. A quick Google of the Half Quad and it appears it would NOT work.

I swung by Troy's website to take a look at what they offered (I love Troy products, BTW) and found the MRF 12" rail. It would work for what you're looking to do. I'm almost positive there are other manufactures that offers similar products.

http://troyind.com/wp-content/uploads/Troy-BattleRail-12-MRF-CX-4.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Troy is just a CAR length hand guard with a bolt on addition on the front of it, actually a CAR length from Troy is one of the ones I was looking at but I specifically wanted the RRA one I mentioned.

Is there any way to modify a longer one, like cut a slot in it or anything? I mean of course just get a low pro gas block and cover it with the rail but I actually want this rifle to have the standard A2 sights, thats why I got it.

Get out a dremel and go to town. Personally, I think that it'd end up looking like shit; exposed aluminum and all. Any particular reason for wanting to retain the FSB?

I need to keep the FSB cause this rifle's mostly for my dad to shoot and he wanted one that reminded him of the A1 he carried in the army. I actually managed to find an original fixed sight carry handle colt upper I'm using, I'm going for the A1 look but can only use a 16" barrel, dads only got 1 leg so the added weight of longer barrel and handguard might make it front heavy for him. I wanted to use the RRA rail so it matches my other rifle but I didnt think about the front sight issues till today, its got a MOE on it now that I had laying around.