drive by wire

Green Bastard

so some of these newer cars have drive by wire, but with some of the problems lately idk if i would trust one. that and i used to have a jag that was drive by wire, didnt seem to have the throttle response that a cabled throttle has. just lookin for opinions

discuss

There are can be alot of problems with these set ups and the trottle respnse differs from brand to brand. My sentra is fly by wire and the response is great and very quick but, at work Ive noticed some of the toyota and chevys have a noticeable delay in throttle response. I have had to replace all 3 compnents in my throttle system in the four and a half years Ive owned it. Within the first year the throttle pedal sensor wnet bad, which requires replacing the pedal assembly. And last year the throttlebody went bad and wiped the ecu out with it. I get discounted pricing on parts so none of the repairs were all that bad. Stick with throttle cables. The only plus side I can see to fly by wire is that the cruise control is all run through the ecm (atleast on my set up) and make things a little cleaner/ simpler under the hood. The other downside is that alot of fly by wire cars do not give you 100% throttle open when you mash the pedal but, instead only open the throttle plate as much as the ecm has calculated that it should for that rpm/ load. Shits ghey.
  • Upvote 1

There are can be alot of problems with these set ups and the trottle respnse differs from brand to brand. My sentra is fly by wire and the response is great and very quick but, at work Ive noticed some of the toyota and chevys have a noticeable delay in throttle response. I have had to replace all 3 compnents in my throttle system in the four and a half years Ive owned it. Within the first year the throttle pedal sensor wnet bad, which requires replacing the pedal assembly. And last year the throttlebody went bad and wiped the ecu out with it. I get discounted pricing on parts so none of the repairs were all that bad. Stick with throttle cables. The only plus side I can see to fly by wire is that the cruise control is all run through the ecm (atleast on my set up) and make things a little cleaner/ simpler under the hood. The other downside is that alot of fly by wire cars do not give you 100% throttle open when you mash the pedal but, instead only open the throttle plate as much as the ecm has calculated that it should for that rpm/ load. Shits ghey.

:fuuuu:

• Upvote 1

well since the system has been in many cars and trucks for the past decade i'm not sure why you would have a trust issue (1997 was the first year it was introduced on the vettes)

much is the throttle response isn't a issue with the system its how its programed. you see some delay in GM when they have an auto transmission. the vettes have a very quick throttle response and so does my TBSS.

well since the system has been in many cars and trucks for the past decade i'm not sure why you would have a trust issue (1997 was the first year it was introduced on the vettes)

much is the throttle response isn't a issue with the system its how its programed. you see some delay in GM when they have an auto transmission. the vettes have a very quick throttle response and so does my TBSS.

As far as the programming, Im pretty sure Ive seen aftermarket devices designed to quicken throttle response on fly by wire setups too.

Looks like paul has been drinkin again... I was just lookin for opinions, my cousin has a ford that's fly by wire and the tb is messed up right now and is appearantly a common problem with cars like hers, also with the whole toyota thing... also I didn't know they had been around that long, my jag was an 02 and had it, just wasn't sure how long before then they were in service. Imo cars today are becoming more complicated and rely a lot on electronic parts that tend to brake and are expensive. Its like the manufacturers are tryin to take workin on cars out of the hands of the guy who wants to try to save a dollar. I like older cars, while some argue they aren't as reliable as newer cars, maintenance on them is easy and if it needs fixed the average joe can do it with some hand tools and a shop manual, plus I've seen some older cars run just as long as these newer cars.

I have one cable throttle and two DBW cars. There's very little differnce between them. One interesting thing about DBW cars is that you can change the throttle map like any other fueling map. On my Legacy I have the Subaru I-drive which switches between three different throttle maps. The weakest doesn't open the butterfly beyond 50% and the best is as responsive as my STI and WRX. A tuner can even modify each of the three maps if I wanted.

My dad's automatic C6 has a noticeable delay that he does not like. My c5z has a very subtle one. Without fly by wire however, the advanced torque management and traction control scenarios would not be possible which in part led to the awesomeness of the 2010 ZR1 that can hook 638 hp on street tires. If they could figure out an algorithym (sp) safely to average/ignore subtle throttle inputs so when you are cruising on the freeway and your throttle moves in and out slowly with the normal bumps on the road and the fact that your foot is not rigidly attached fuel consumption could be substantially decreased.

my civic is DBW (well i guess my diesel is too but its injector wires). I've driven the civic just over 100k and I still can't get a good 'feel' for the throttle and the shifts (manual trans)

I don't know how to describe it, its just wierd. Like the spring in the pedal doesn't accurately represent the spring of a throttle plate on the end of a cable.

The only problem I have with my car's DBW throttle is the immense lag during throttle closure. When I want to shift, I have to lift off the gas, pause until the car begins to engine brake, then put the clutch in. Otherwise, the revs take forever to drop, and sometimes they will go up when I put the clutch in. I have never had this problem with any cable throttle cars, or even my friend's DBW cars. It's all the calibration, and much like a lot of other aspects of this car, Mazda did a really shitty job.

my civic is DBW (well i guess my diesel is too but its injector wires). I've driven the civic just over 100k and I still can't get a good 'feel' for the throttle and the shifts (manual trans)

I don't know how to describe it, its just wierd. Like the spring in the pedal doesn't accurately represent the spring of a throttle plate on the end of a cable.

i agree, my old jag was a stick (02 x-type sport) and it was really hard to match the clutch with the throttle during even some normal driving (normal to me isnt normal to most though lol :gabe:)

The only problem I have with my car's DBW throttle is the immense lag during throttle closure. When I want to shift, I have to lift off the gas, pause until the car begins to engine brake, then put the clutch in. Otherwise, the revs take forever to drop, and sometimes they will go up when I put the clutch in. I have never had this problem with any cable throttle cars, or even my friend's DBW cars. It's all the calibration, and much like a lot of other aspects of this car, Mazda did a really shitty job.

that might be more due to the weight of the rotating mass not the throttle control.

that might be more due to the weight of the rotating mass not the throttle control.

You would think so, but I have driven other similarly setup cars with equally heavy stock flywheels and it's not the same. I doubt I will have to replace the clutch/flywheel while I own the car, so I guess it's hard to comment on that. FWIW, I did the balance shaft delete mod hoping to get rid of some of the rotating mass and it really made next to no difference. I'm convinced it's in the calibration of the throttle.

DBW at this day in age is reliable for the most part (Aside from boosted Dodges) Subarus have had it for a while and I don't have a problem with it. Typically manufactors do goofy shit with the dbw tables to make the cars feel diffrent.

Subarus dbw map for example looks about like a supra dyno. LAZY LAZY LAZY ZOMG OPEN THE PLATE!!!!.