CR Review: 2012 Nissan Versa - "You can't go back"

zeitgeist57

As with my recent review of the 2012 Passat, I am always interested in checking out what's available in the low-cost, stick-shift DD corral of new and lightly-used cars. Yesterday after work, I stopped by Germain Nissan to test-drive a new Versa. As before, I am looking at getting a great DD with a stick shift for the least amount of money...and I think I found it. But I also discovered a catch...

You all know the Versa is being touted as the cheapest car in America. Well, Germain has one available for sale - still with the factory "do not open" seal on the trunk - that I drove with only 15 miles on the odo. For that money, you get a decent looking silver/black 4-door sedan, with A/C and a stick shift...and that's about all. the dash is literally an analog speedo, with a small digital display for odo/MPG/fuel readouts. The stereo is a 4-speaker CD stereo, that sounds terrible (but plays NPR just fine)...for $12k. The sticker was $10,990, but germain added floormats, mud guards, and LED DOOR SILL PLATES ($200 WTF???) to bring it up to $12k. Cruise control was $350...seems like I'll forego crappy flaps and totally unnecessary doorsill plates for something useful. But hey, that's me...

PERFORMANCE: All kidding aside about the kit, this was an incredibly surprising car to drive. With it's light weight, and tall 5-speed gearing, this car actually got up to 60mph pretty well. Once in 5th on the highway, I was surprised how fast it was from 60-80mph, as I was cutting off a newer MDX that clearly saw what I was trying to do and tried a prevent-defense on me...unsuccessfully. :) It felt very tossable in the corners of Cherry Bottom Road, but with the 185/15 Continental tires obviously more eco-focused grip was non-existant. MPG was surprising...with aggressive driving around NE 270/161 and Easton, I was doing 32mpg on average.

INTERIOR QUALITY: The car was tight and well built. The only problem was plastics and upholstery: laughably cheap. Obviously not surprising given the price point of this car, but the new-car-plastic smell was choking. I was easily able to reach over to the passenger side to roll down both manual-crank windows (and adjust side mirrors). The seats were actually very supportive, if a little too narrow for bigger people. And the SIZE...This thing was big! Backseat had PLENTY of room. Definitely talked about, but you have to see how much interior volume they manage to put into a car this size. Trunk was decent as well.

OVERALL: If you need a new car and don't need a lot of frills, definitely give this car a look. Interestingly, the two salespeople I spoke with (great, non-pushy guys too, BTW!) said that the take-rate nationally for manual-transmission Versa's far exceeded Nissan's allocation, and the car I drove was likely to be sold that afternoon to a guy in Newark that requested it. I can understand...it was actually a really great car to drive and overall a strong value. Given PW/PL/Cruise, I could seriously see myself owning it for another 10-year/150k mile DD...

But then, I realized driving away in my fully-loaded '00 Passat: You can't go back.

Sure, my car has a lot of miles, and has worn considerably...but it's still a great car. Is it worth getting a much cheaper car just because it's new and very affordable? I mentally weighed the Versa against a CTS-V in my mind...and only needed a millisecond to realize that I would still take a 100k mile CTS-V over a new Versa. I'd even find a way to pay the few thousand more over a Versa's sticker to make it happen. NOT that the Versa was a bad car...quite the opposite in this driver's eye...

But my decision is far more macro than what car to drive. It's a matter of timing, and image. Both are not bad things, when measured in moderation. I want a premium car, and I don't want compromises. I drive the Passat simply because I have yet to find a better car than the CTS-V...and I haven't pulled any trigger because I'm not ready to ditch the paid-for Passat yet. Ultimately, I realized that the Versa would be an "inverse" impulse purchase: a new car, but a far cry from my current ride in terms of content and a deviation from my plans for future ownership.

CLIFFS: Cheap car, but one of the best values you can buy for DD duty today. Just not for me. :)

Good write up. If you're looking at something that small why not test drive the new Chevy Sonic? It's peppy, tossable, comes with a manual, and so far has gotten high marks. Did you look at the Cruze Eco too (the only manual Cruze available)?

Huh...my bad...I thought I did one! Great little car...hit me up when the Abarth makes it into town and I'll do a write-up. :)

Official Abarth launch event is at L.A. Auto Show Nov. 16th at 1:35p.

We'll hopefully be breaking out the Chianti here to celebrate, and they'll finally tell us when they'll be showing up on our lot. That and the actual performance of the car.

Edited by El Karacho

did the rear seats fold down?? i know that's an issue with the 1st gen sedans...you have to get a higher model to get seats that fold down..fuck that...hatches ftw!

don't buy it if you want to do stuff beyond wheels and tint, there isn't anything for it yet....

we bought our car as a cheap daily and it fits the kids great...i'm looking forward to the new hatches when they come out!

Good write up. Ive been thinking of buying a new car since my 05 jetta is finally paid off and im way tired of it. I like the possability of buying a new, fuel efficient car like the versa but regardless of how cheap it is it will never be as cheap as a car that i own now and have paid off. It is nice not to have a car payment and im enjoying it.

Besides my next car will be a truck, maybe a jeep.

I'd still think at 12k I'd take a used car. If I was worried about warranty, I'd buy CPO. I'm pretty used to paying out the ass for repairs though. Do like the Mazda2 though

Id rather have a brand new car... not something with 50k miles on it.

The 1st gen Versas also have great resale value. My car is worth more, or close to it, in a private sale than what I paid for it brand new!!