htc evo -> xbox live

boostedgtp

I have the evo with pdanet that I use for my laptop it works great to get online. I also have an xbox with a live account but no RR or dsl. What is the best to use my laptop or evo to connect to live. Should I try to root and use the wireless or can I use a cable from my laptop some how?

You should buy a home internet connection instead of tethering your phone. Don't ruin it for the rest of us who just use it for web browsing.

Pretty sure the whole point of the tethering is to use it for an internet connection. Regardless if its for home or away, I am confused as to how this is "ruining" it for the rest of us.

He's saying that using your phone to tether for a console takes up a huge amount of data. The phone companies see that you're using THAT much data and know something is up. It's bullshit when you have an "unlimited" data plan and they still try to restrict you, but it is what it is.

Pretty sure the whole point of the tethering is to use it for an internet connection. Regardless if its for home or away, I am confused as to how this is "ruining" it for the rest of us.

The only thing illegal tethering should be used for is browsing the internet as a last resort. A great example of this is using my laptop when I am at the airport waiting to board my plane. If you want to play games or download anything use a paid wired/wireless broadband connection.

The only thing illegal tethering should be used for is browsing the internet as a last resort. A great example of this is using my laptop when I am at the airport waiting to board my plane. If you want to play games or download anything use a paid wired/wireless broadband connection.

its my last resort

Yeah, but they slow your connection way down after 2GB.
Sprint does NOT throttle data after 2gb, that is T-Mobile

I have used as much as 8gb in a month with no difference in speed

Yeah leave poor Sprint alone, they are having a hard enough time in this economy. Daniel R. Hesse (CEO of Sprint/Nextel Corp.) only made $9,068,608.00 last year.

that might be a lot, id dunno.

but i doubt it, if you compare it to what the CEO's of AT&T and Verizon made

You should buy a home internet connection instead of tethering your phone. Don't ruin it for the rest of us who just use it for web browsing.

Basically what he's getting at is the more people tether their phone for internet services like xbl and such the higher data plan prices are going to go, and the less "unlimited" they will be come. Its already happening and will continue to get worse.

Will it matter whether you one sprint user tethers to xbl or not, no but in the great scheme of things the idea does matter. But I don't care its your shit do what you want haha.

I tried playing COD on a PS3 while it was tethered to my phone cause my buddy didn't have internet yet at the time. Shit sucked, it was on 3G, and I'm not sure how fast of a connection I get at his place, but shit was barely playable.

Think your only/best option here is to root the phone, and then do wifi tethering.

Other Sprint users here didn't read their latest statements indicating Mobile Hotspot will be charging per MB after 5GB is used?

Nobody is likely using "Mobile Hotspot" which is the app that Sprint uses to WiFi tether and is connected to their tethering plan. Most use pdanet, easytether, or Wireless Tether if rooted. Not that Sprint doesn't have ways to tell what you are doing, it's just that they have yet to really come down on tethering. I personally think it's due to their wanting to keep as many customers as possible right now, they know coming down on tethering "for real" would result in a user exodus. Though I wouldn't want to game on a tethered connection cause of latency issues, even if it isn't using as much data as one would think.

Dude that Verizon thing might work in my area, i dont know. Im just trying to use what I have to get on live without spending any more money.

Basically what he's getting at is the more people tether their phone for internet services like xbl and such the higher data plan prices are going to go, and the less "unlimited" they will be come. Its already happening and will continue to get worse.

If you "need" to play online you "need" to pay for an internet connection. If all you can get at your residence is a cell phone connection then pay the extra $30 to legally tether your phone. Don't use illegal means for playing games and/or downloading anything.

The reason I wanted your zip code was because I could try to help you find a decent home internet connection.

Other Sprint users here didn't read their latest statements indicating Mobile Hotspot will be charging per MB after 5GB is used?

the pay-per-MB after 5GB is for hotspot/add in cards only, NOT, phone usage.

like i said earlier, i use that much data REGULARLY with no overages. and will continue to do so.

Seems to me like Sprint has been throttling everyone lately, mine has been slow as shit for months, and I just use it for here and facebook. Not even worth thinking about gaming on. Ping is terrible on cell phones in general. Besides, if Sprint ever did decide to crack down on unauthorized tethering, gamers would be first to go since theres no reason for a cell phone to be connecting to xbox live.