Building an outdoor range

87GT

I am putting a plan together in 3-5 years of owning many acers of land out in BFE ohio. I want to build an outdoor private shooting range for myself and a few friends. I've googled plans and have a bunch of different information. Some people say to dig out what you would use for an Olympic size pool and shoot underground :dumb: Not going to do that.

Anyone know a good measurement to use for a pistol rifle range? Was thinking having maybe 150-200 yd for the range then up to 500yd?? behind the range for stray bullets. Not sure if I should just use a very large dirt pile as a backstop or some other material. Would be nice to have a clay pigeon range as well next to it. I would just be using a normal clay pigeon thrower sitting on the ground to start. Eventually would be nice to build a building underground around it if I could have someone operate it while I shoot from behind.

Throw out any ideas you might have.

You will need a very large dirt backstop. 15-20ft tall would be a good height at 100yds. Keep in mind that it will erode over time so you maight want to make it a little taller to begin with. The higher the better.

Best thing to do is rent a bulldozer, locate your shooting lane, and then use the dozer to scrape the lane and pile up the dirt at the end. You'll end up with a down sloping lane ending in a giant backstop. You may need to plan for drainage in front of the berm using some stone and tile.

Can I come play when you get it finished. :)

My guess would be the land would be filled with trees so I would have to clear some out. I was already planning on renting a bulldozer. Help me build it and you can play :)

I would guess I could use some nice plywood boards to staple up targets to it? Probably dig a hole and fill with cement just like making post holes for a fence?

I would guess I could use some nice plywood boards to staple up targets to it? Probably dig a hole and fill with cement just like making post holes for a fence?

If by nice you mean whatever junk wood you can find for free cause you are going to shoot the fuck out of it.

I would not want cement in the ground. Just dig a hole, cement might cause a ricochet.

I always just use a random scrap piece of plywood propped up by two sticks I find in the woods.

Might want to put up a sign for fill dirt, or check around craigslist or locally. You'll want as much dirt as you can get for a backstop, and plant grasses/ivy or some kind of vegetation on top of it to cut down on erosion. If you want to stay out of the mud, get some gravel put down at the back of the lanes as well. Just some ideas to get you started.

I generally like to have a 25m pistol range, and at least 100m for rifle.

I wouldn't even bother building anything. I mean if there were a slope or something in the background that would be nice, but if not oh well it's not like a pistol round goes very far

If there is no backstop other then random trees how far would rifle rounds travel? How far away would be safe for bullets from not ricochet back and hit me?

If there is no backstop other then random trees how far would rifle rounds travel? How far away would be safe for bullets from not ricochet back and hit me?

rifle rounds shoot about a mile.. you can spend thousands of dollars if you want, just saying I wouldn't bother.

Plywood won't last very long.

The local range I frequent uses steel posts with an angle iron cross bar and then hangs large sheets of thick (1/2"?) rubber with simple wire hangers. You can staple targets to the rubber.

The cross-bar works well for hanging other types of targets, too, such as armor plate steel targets, golf balls, etc.