New COPO Camaro.

Nickey4271647545519

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/10/chevrolet-camaro-copo-concept.jpg

2011-10-31

LAS VEGAS – The COPO Camaro is back at Chevrolet, as a concept designed to the specifications for NHRA Stock Eliminator drag racing competition.

"The COPO Camaro is a proof of concept for what a Chevrolet Stock Eliminator entry could look like," said Jim Campbell, GM U.S. vice president of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. "And it is a clear indication that Chevrolet intends to homologate the Camaro for sportsman drag racing."

The COPO concept vehicle is designed to accommodate more than one engine option, including a naturally aspirated 427 engine (7.0L) – the same displacement as the original COPO Camaros from 1969 – and a supercharged 327 (5.3L) engine. Among the many racing-specific features and equipment is a conversion from the Camaro's standard independent rear axle to a solid axle, as well as a full chrome moly roll cage.

The basic content for the COPO Camaro Concept includes:

Provisions for two engine configurations (see below for details)

Provisions for a Powerglide two-speed automatic transmission, a three-speed automatic or a five-speed manual

High-rise cowl-induction hood

Custom Aeromotive fuel system, with a fuel cell and integral high-pressure fuel pump

Full, chrome moly roll cage

Coil-over front suspension with Strange Engineering adjustable struts

Custom rear suspension, based on NHRA requirements, with Strange Engineering shocks, Panhard bar and stabilizer bar

Strange Engineering S-9 solid rear axle with aluminum third member, 35-spline spool, 35-spline axles and 4.10 gear set

Lightweight, COPO-specific racing wheels

29x9-inch rear radial racing slicks and 4.5x28x15-inch front tires

Manual steering system

Strange Engineering lightweight racing brakes system with standard line lock.

The interior is all business, with most sound deadening and power accessories deleted. Instead, there is pair of racing bucket seats (and no rear seat), a safety harness for the driver, a competition floor shifter and Chevrolet Performance gauges by Auto Meter.

The engines

Intended for NHRA's various Stock Eliminator classes, the COPO Camaro concept has provisions for two distinct engine packages – each built to conform to class guidelines.

The concept vehicle is powered by a prototype version of the supercharged 327 engine, featuring an LSX cylinder block.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/31/chevrolet-copo-camaro-concept-lives-life-a-quarter-mile-at-a-tim/#continued

I would like to set it up for the twisties using the SC 5.3L, five speed and some wide tires. If they can bring this in a price point that is below current 2SS msrp, then I will entertain buying one for a toy Call it the Z28 and its a done deal.

Yeah, even in the 60's GM was the last pony car to jump in. Either way it'll be a bug bucks car and only the heavy hitters will be able to buy them. I think I would opt for the 427/5 speed setup. With out a bunch more power I don't see being able to take advantage of the PG.

Yeah, even in the 60's GM was the last pony car to jump in. Either way it'll be a bug bucks car and only the heavy hitters will be able to buy them. I think I would opt for the 427/5 speed setup. With out a bunch more power I don't see being able to take advantage of the PG.

If you look at the cost to build a Stock or Super Stock car any of these are not that bad of a deal. The Cobra Jet cars are like cheating with how well they run.

I do love the idea of a 427/5 running in SS/A

If you look at the cost to build a Stock or Super Stock car any of these are not that bad of a deal. The Cobra Jet cars are like cheating with how well they run.

I do love the idea of a 427/5 running in SS/A

Agreed. From personal exp. 30k barely gets you a consistent .6 under car. If I were going to do it again I would gladly pay 60k if the car was going to run 1 under all the time.