Ignition key for a 2000 Toyota Tundra

Richard Cranium

When Carol bought her truck it was a repo and the bank only had 1 key for it. I stopped by sears yesterday to get a couple backup keys made and they told me the key is chipped. I was looking on the internet for blanks that include the transponder and I'm coming up empty. I can find non-transponder key blanks all over the place, but none with transponders. Does the 2000 Tundra need a chipped key? If so, anyone have a hookup on where to get one? I'd hate to get raped by the dealer on a key, but I'd hate more to loose this one and find out I have to buy a new ECU/key combination.

I think most Toyotas after 1998 had transponder keys, honestly not sure. Looked up antitheft on alldata, and it seems that is the case. You can try a locksmith, but the dealership is likely your best bet. In GM's case these type keys are around $40-50 and need to be programmed, not sure on the Toyotas.

I work at toyota direct, do you want me to check on a key?

EDIT, 2000 tundra shouldnt be a chipped key...

If you want to bring it up here Ill check it for you, can hook you up with a key, and make sure it doesnt need a chipped key..

Im 99% sure it is not chipped

I work at toyota direct, do you want me to check on a key?

EDIT, 2000 tundra shouldnt be a chipped key...

If you want to bring it up here Ill check it for you, can hook you up with a key, and make sure it doesnt need a chipped key..

Im 99% sure it is not chipped

I would see Rocky, he's def much more familiar then me.

Well it could be some kind of random special truck that had it.. but im 99% sure it doesnt..

Ive programmed a ton the of the keyless entry's for them..

Just talked to 2 people who have 200-2003 tundra's and they dont have chipped keys either..

Shot you a PM with my number..

Thanks for checking Scott, that's why I was trying to avoid the dealership. I'm assuming that by the time it's all said and done I'm into it for $100 including cutting and programming.

Rocky, thanks for the information and the offer. Since I'm in Hilliard I think I'll just chance it and try getting a regular key cut. With what it would cost me to drive over there in gas it's worth a shot. If that doesn't end up working for me I'll be getting in touch with you.

Worked like a charm. I had to go to four different places till I found a place that had the blank in stock. But finally Home Depot had the blank on hand. $1.90 later I have a spare key for the truck. I appreciate the info Rocky.

Oh, and yeah, we did get the frame inspected a couple years back. I think it was the spare tire mount they were looking at. Something about it rusting through and dumping the spare tire loose into traffic.

Lol, yeah if the spare tire carrier is rotted through we replace the frame...

I was going to say if it hasnt been done bring it up to me and ill make sure the frame gets done right with no issues..

You can get a yearly inspection.. Its a free 15,000$ frame.. lol