Buying car then selling parts

Sully

Anyone ever bought a car then sold the parts and made any money off of it? I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a little extra cash by doing that. It's just an idea I've been toying with. Thoughts/opinions welcome.

Meaning?

I want it but I dont have cash until 2013 or my dog ate my wallet, things of that nature.

I buy parts/cars with parts I want or can use and if it does not pane out I sell them, kind of like the rear suspension setup I have for sale right now. I picked it up for the notch and along came a good roller with parts more suited for my goals

I want it but I dont have cash until 2013 or my dog ate my wallet, things of that nature.

I buy parts/cars with parts I want or can use and if it does not pane out I sell them, kind of like the rear suspension setup I have for sale right now. I picked it up for the notch and along came a good roller with parts more suited for my goals

Sent you a pm.

I have done it a few times and although it starts out decent with the more popular parts gone quickly, after the first week your over it and after a month of bullshit from shady people and tripping over what now looks like a pile of shit to you, your looking for a gun to shoot yourself.

Yes, several times. The last car I did this with was Dover's old white foxbody. I traded a Truck that I got for free for it. After all was parted out and chassis sold I made around $4k or so! It was a little more beat when I got it though.

I parted out a totaled '95 z28 a couple years back. I made my money back from the 6 speed alone. Everything else was extra. I didn't make a TON of money off of it, but if nothing else, it helped me get familiar with another car as well as learning more mechanical techniques.

if i were to do it, i would list the car and say its a parts car and to call for the parts needed, but always have the whole thing for sale for more than what you picked it up for (or less if the parts sold make up the differance), that way if someone wants it you wont take a loss

meh honestly yes and no... no in the aspect that even after its said and done your going to sit on these parts FOREVERRRRR. i still have srt parts form a parts car from like 08 :lol: but i bought a wrecked srt4 for 500 bucks form ahamdi(on here hes selling a husky in the fs) and ended up making easily over 4k for it by parting it out to bare frame... if you sold parts off a car that was popular yes...

pics for awesomeness...

guy claimed he went around a corner at like 35..yeaa ooook the door frame was at the shifter lol

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/04srturbo/CIMG0675.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/04srturbo/CIMG0676.jpg

wtf face?

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/04srturbo/CIMG0691.jpg

you're better off mowing yards to make money, with all the time/effort you will have wrapped up in dissassembling, advertising, and hassling with buyers. unless you do it for a living, and can handle it on a large scale, i would only reserve parting cars out to necessity (when you wreck your car beyond repair, and must part it out)

I found it to be fun and not take up as much time as some of you think. I just wrenched on it when I had free time and the parts all sold very quick. So I guess it just depends on the car and demand for the parts off of it. I also tend to sell parts pretty cheap rather than ask a lot and sit on them for months. Although there are some parts that you just can't give away.