base layer

Hoblick

whats a good base layer for colder weather?

im gonna be taking a trip in 2 weeks, and we will be leaving at 2 am

and i know being early april that the weather will still probably be sub 50 degree weather at night and early morning.

i have been looking at the under armor cold weather gear mock tops and leggings

anybody use this stuff before, is it worth the coin?

any other suggestions

my major concern is i want something tight fitting that, i hate having alot of bulk under my jacket and pants.

yes yes and yes!

UA cold gear is the best stuff i have ever used. make sure you get the head cover and as thin of gloves as you can as well.

usually i wear UA cold top, long sleeve shirt, hoodie and my jacket along with UA cold bottoms, jeans and wool socks and im fine in 30deg weather.

we are heading to virginia beach... not for any reason, just a direction we are heading.

i knwo ill be fine during mid day, but early morning and night i know ill probably be a tad chilly..

i usually wear long johns a pair of jeans and then my over pants but that is a tad bulky.

i have been wanting to get some cold gear base layer, but was skeptical of how well it worked. i heard its a ton better than your standard long jons

i think the formula you want is:

some sort of base layer thermal, top and bottom (cold gear, or some equivalent)

regular fabric thermal shirt and leggings

something wind resistant (like a softshell for top, and you might be ok for pants if you have riding pants that aren't perforated

and a sturdy leather jacket.

if it'll be under 40 you'll want more layers probably... it might seem like overkill, but you'll be glad to have all the layers after 2 hours on the highway at 45 degrees plus windchill. And the nice thing is, you can take off the layers as it gets warmer.

I hike and camp a lot, and I swear by Columbia products. I have a few of their base layers, and they work extremely well. I also like their socks and soft shell jackets. Not cheap, but cheaper than Under Armour. Every once in the while you can find the base layers at Kohl's half off, but that's usually in the winter, but you may give it a try.

under armor is a waste of money. More than twice the price of the nearest competitor. Buy marmot or something else inexpensive. Silk weight should be enough under your riding gear.

I hike ride, camp and back pack all winter, so I have a bit of experience.

As suggested your best bet is a solid wind layer, your rain suit could work for a short time, not the best idea because of condensation on the inside.

I was in the USMC Reserves for 8 years. Our unit was a cold mountain survival warfare unit.

I suggest PolyPro military underwear. It also draws the sweat off your body so when it gets warm you won't feel it. Important part is to hydrate if your on a long trip wearing these. Also Under Armour or the knock off competitor clothing would be perfect for wearing over the polypro underwear and these 2 in combination would make for a nice warm ride. Lastly get hood that football players wear under their helmets to keep your neck and chin warm.

i wear jeans and a t shirt or a long sleeve if its really cold, then i got my tourmaster caliber overpants which are pretty toasty even with the liner removed. if its really cold, i put the liner in. then my jacket with its liner in too. got some A* polar gloves that keep my fingers warm.

i got a fleece skimask kinda thing to wear under the helmet if its really cold... sometimes thats the worst part. everything else is toasty but my face is freezing lol.