Thanks Atomic Fusion

86GT

So I had a little bad luck at kilkare on Saturday and some how blew the engine in the vette. When I needed help getting the car back to grove city Mark gave up part of his Saturday to help out. He loaded up his truck and trailer and drove down to kilkare to pick up the car. Thanks again Mark for hauling my piece of junk home, I greatly appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me out.

A few pics of the damage, lost 2 rods and at this time only found about a third of # 7 piston.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/mjniehaus/DSC00272.jpg

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/mjniehaus/DSC00270.jpg

Only mods to the car were a cam and full exhaust. Previous owner put better rod bolts in it. This tells you how bad my luck is, other people spray the guts out of these things and they live. Mine comes apart with basically nothing done to it.

Only mods to the car were a cam and full exhaust. Previous owner put better rod bolts in it. This tells you how bad my luck is, other people spray the guts out of these things and they live. Mine comes apart with basically nothing done to it.

Hmm that is strange.... :confused: How many miles were on the motor? was it ever taken apart before?

It only had 33k on it but it had the rod bolts changed. The previous owner had sprayed it before and actually put a hole in a piston. So i' m thinking maybe the short block was weak and over time it just finally gave up

I think the old rods and pistons were reused from the original set up as well from my memory, and it did have the house sprayed down on the original parts.

Sorry to see that Mike, looks like there is not much to salvage from that engine.

I think the old rods and pistons were reused from the original set up as well from my memory, and it did have the house sprayed down on the original parts.

Sorry to see that Mike, looks like there is not much to salvage from that engine.

Yeah I have one big paper weight, even the cam was hit by flying debris. Found the oil ring from #7 wrapped around it lol

Just my opinion, but I have seen stock powered metal connecting rods break like this when reused. So if a piston had been replaced there could have easily been stress put on the rod weakening it. The way the factory rods are made I personally do not like the idea of reusing them. Just my 2 cents, not meant to be starting anything.