Ford Unveils The 2013 GT500 - 5.8L and 650HP

2011SVT

at this point the vette in 2013/14 will need to be making 7-800 to be attractive. as far as the platform, awd vs rwd. i think it will be interesting to see if they stray from their roots, as a rwd, front engine V8.

Yeah, is it a traditional 'musclecar' if it's not V8 and RWD? Ford has the problem/advantage of not having a sports car like the Corvette and instead prefers to go head-to-head against the Camaro and Charger/Challenger. (Although since the GT500 is Ford's current 'halo' car - it often gets compared to Corvette or the GTR)

Lots of rumors now swirling around the 2015 and there is a pretty good chance it will be significantly smaller/lighter. I am really hoping for something about 400 lbs lighter with the same kind of power - OMG).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a silly question, but do you think Chevy and Dodge aren't going the AWD route as a means of keeping costs contained? I just wonder how much more it costs to covert something to an AWD platform. I'd go bonkers for, say, an AWD ZR1, but how much more would that cost to make, etc?

Perhaps... but that in itself leads to a more indepth conversation about America's inability to keep manufacturing costs down. I'm sorry but if Nissan can produce a 10 Second AWD GT-R, there is no reason GM/Dodge can't.

That and they already have AWD performance SUV's. There is no reason they can't make a simular system work in a car. Sure it will add some weight, but obviously weight is not a factor in the GT-R.

But like you said, an AWD ZR1(espeically in an automatic) would be insane fast. Add 100hp to a GT-R and that's what you'd have. Probably run 10.3's.

As for the additional cost, maybe 10k per car. It's the upfront design costs and trying to fit all that into such a small package.

Perhaps... but that in itself leads to a more indepth conversation about America's inability to keep manufacturing costs down. I'm sorry but if Nissan can produce a 10 Second AWD GT-R, there is no reason GM/Dodge can't.

That and they already have AWD performance SUV's. There is no reason they can't make a simular system work in a car. Sure it will add some weight, but obviously weight is not a factor in the GT-R.

But like you said, an AWD ZR1(espeically in an automatic) would be insane fast. Add 100hp to a GT-R and that's what you'd have. Probably run 10.3's.

True, if Nissan can do it, then there's no reason why Chevy can't.

Yeah, is it a traditional 'musclecar' if it's not V8 and RWD? Ford has the problem/advantage of not having a sports car like the Corvette and instead prefers to go head-to-head against the Camaro and Charger/Challenger. (Although since the GT500 is Ford's current 'halo' car - it often gets compared to Corvette or the GTR)

Lots of rumors now swirling around the 2015 and there is a pretty good chance it will be significantly smaller/lighter. I am really hoping for something about 400 lbs lighter with the same kind of power - OMG).

Hell, Traditional Muscle car to me isn't a Corvette. It's a Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, hell the entire SRT-8 line with the V8's.

I consider the Vette and GT-R to be supercars, and they always have been, to me anyway. I think Covette enthusiasts would hate an awd Vett Though for people like me that want the badest ass car I can buy at a certain pricepoint, I'd pass on 800hp vett, if it's going to get it's ass handed to it by a laundry list of other cars. Plus for anybody that has had a FAST car knows, it's annoying as fuck dealing with traction ALL the time. How many times has your 10 second car lost to a 12 second car at the drag strip because you launched a tad too agressive.

Did I enjoy being able to lite the tires up at 40mph in the Vett and the Viper, absolutely! Did I enjoy my 700rwhp Viper getting beat by a stock Z06 from a 40 roll? Hell no, pissed me off so bad, I went out and got a Z06 2 weeks later.

• Upvote 1

Hell, Traditional Muscle car to me isn't a Corvette. It's a Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, hell the entire SRT-8 line with the V8's.

I consider the Vette and GT-R to be supercars, and they always have been, to me anyway. I think Covette enthusiasts would hate an awd Vett Though for people like me that want the badest ass car I can buy at a certain pricepoint, I'd pass on 800hp vett, if it's going to get it's ass handed to it by a laundry list of other cars. Plus for anybody that has had a FAST car knows, it's annoying as fuck dealing with traction ALL the time. How many times has your 10 second car lost to a 12 second car at the drag strip because you launched a tad too agressive.

Did I enjoy being able to lite the tires up at 40mph in the Vett and the Viper, absolutely! Did I enjoy my 700rwhp Viper getting beat by a stock Z06 from a 40 roll? Hell no, pissed me off so bad, I went out and got a Z06 2 weeks later.

Rep for you sir..

if any american auto maker develops a 500hp car with AWD and a twin clutch auto, i will buy it immediately, no matter what the cost. 650hp is great, but getting it to the ground is an entirely different thing. i can't even imagine hooking up 650hp on 285 street tires. my cts-v has 550hp/285 tires, and smokes the daylights out of the tires in first, and now that its cold out, even in second. i can't help but imagine what AWD would do for this car. i love the auto in my cts-v, but would kill for the 7 speed auto out of the M5. being able to set the speed/power of shifting, and having the response of a twin clutch would be nuts.

sure, all this costs money to develop. fuck it though. if you want to build a car that everybody and their mother can run 10's in right from the showroom floor, that is the fool-proof recipe. porsche claims their top end 911 turbo can run 10.7 at 128mph. imagine being able to drive to the strip right after you leave the dealership, and get kicked out after just one run, in a completely bone stock vehicle

Piggy piggy - that's a lot of weight to move around.

True but that's what the GTR weighs so it might not feel that bad behind the wheel. Honestly, you need to check out the BOSS!!! There was a girl at the Texas Mile with one and the Kenne Bell Mammoth making 835whp on the stock motor. That is the Mustang to have until the new GT500 proves itself...

I agree......up until the part where you sold your Viper to get a Z06...

if any american auto maker develops a 500hp car with AWD and a twin clutch auto, i will buy it immediately, no matter what the cost. 650hp is great, but getting it to the ground is an entirely different thing. i can't even imagine hooking up 650hp on 285 street tires. my cts-v has 550hp/285 tires, and smokes the daylights out of the tires in first, and now that its cold out, even in second. i can't help but imagine what AWD would do for this car. i love the auto in my cts-v, but would kill for the 7 speed auto out of the M5. being able to set the speed/power of shifting, and having the response of a twin clutch would be nuts.

sure, all this costs money to develop. fuck it though. if you want to build a car that everybody and their mother can run 10's in right from the showroom floor, that is the fool-proof recipe. porsche claims their top end 911 turbo can run 10.7 at 128mph. imagine being able to drive to the strip right after you leave the dealership, and get kicked out after just one run, in a completely bone stock vehicle

+1 Yep!

I believe the NHRA has had a rule now where if you are running a completely 100% OEM stock vehicle below the 11.49 index, you are allowed to race. They aren't suppose to kick you out but not many tracks know there own rules book...

The craziest thing I saw listed for this car is the top speed is over 200 MPH

Sounds like a fun car, curious what it would run in 1-Mile...

Personally I would only be "Worried" if I was Chevy if Ford made the extra 100HP with a new 7.0L engine and 2.9L or 3.4L blower and was crazy enough to attempt to warranty it. When the existing LS3 is a 6.2L (Vs 5.8L for the GT500) and the same-old 2.3L blower is in the parts bin off the ZR1 that Ford is using (Or a variant of) you could add 20hp to the GT500's new rating by engine alone without really doing any R&D at all.

I dunno. I guess I am impressed with the power ratings (For a stock car) but not at all with how they were obtained...

Jeff

Personally I would only be "Worried" if I was Chevy if Ford made the extra 100HP with a new 7.0L engine and 2.9L or 3.4L blower and was crazy enough to attempt to warranty it. When the existing LS3 is a 6.2L (Vs 5.8L for the GT500) and the same-old 2.3L blower is in the parts bin off the ZR1 that Ford is using (Or a variant of) you could add 20hp to the GT500's new rating by engine alone without really doing any R&D at all.

I dunno. I guess I am impressed with the power ratings (For a stock car) but not at all with how they were obtained...

Jeff

read the article. they didn't simply stroke the motor and add a larger blower---they upgraded the intercooler, heat exchanger, engine oil cooler, tranny cooler, upgraded transmission, launch control, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, fully adjustable struts, etc. and even if they did only add bolt-ons, there's something to be said about a car with 650hp right from the factory, and a full warranty--helps you sleep at night, while you beat the hell out of the car on the way to starbuck's during the day. vs. a car that comes with 570hp from the factory (but you COULD upgrade it to 650hp with a bigger intercooler, more boost, and voiding the warranty). i realize that both cars might make similar power with similar boost levels/etc. i haven't modded my cts-v yet, and don't know if i'd mod it. the same goes if i bought a new GT500. i might add exhaust, but would not likely add more boost--at least not right away. i'm also suspect of the hyperutectic slugs in the lsa motor, especially when swapping in a bigger blower and going for over 15psi

there's something to be said about a car with 650hp right from the factory, and a full warranty--helps you sleep at night, while you beat the hell out of the car on the way to starbuck's during the day.

Agreed.

The older I get, the more I appreciate buying something with a lot of horsepower AND a warranty. There's a certain peace of mind that comes with knowing that if something breaks, I can just have the car towed to the dealership and say, "Here you go, fix this; I'll be out in the loaner."

read the article. they didn't simply stroke the motor and add a larger blower---they upgraded the intercooler, heat exchanger, engine oil cooler, tranny cooler, upgraded transmission, launch control, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, fully adjustable struts, etc. and even if they did only add bolt-ons, there's something to be said about a car with 650hp right from the factory, and a full warranty--helps you sleep at night, while you beat the hell out of the car on the way to starbuck's during the day. vs. a car that comes with 570hp from the factory (but you COULD upgrade it to 650hp with a bigger intercooler, more boost, and voiding the warranty). i realize that both cars might make similar power with similar boost levels/etc. i haven't modded my cts-v yet, and don't know if i'd mod it. the same goes if i bought a new GT500. i might add exhaust, but would not likely add more boost--at least not right away. i'm also suspect of the hyperutectic slugs in the lsa motor, especially when swapping in a bigger blower and going for over 15psi

I was just referencing the ease of matching or besting the power number if I only had access to in-house parts at GM. Getting the car to be warrantied at that power level is where the rest of the upgrades come into play and that is where the price is the big factor. If Ford can upgrade everything else and still keep it "Close" to the ZL1 in terms of price then its a big win (Obviously).

Personally I would like to see them all (Camaro/Mustang/Challenger) go on a 500+ lb diet. It's amazing how much faster a LS3 "Feels" in a stock C6 as opposed to a 2010+ Camaro. If 3800lbs wasn't the new "Feather weight" then you wouldn't need 650hp to actually make a car feel fast lol.

Jeff

Perhaps a silly question, but do you think Chevy and Dodge aren't going the AWD route as a means of keeping costs contained? I just wonder how much more it costs to covert something to an AWD platform. I'd go bonkers for, say, an AWD ZR1, but how much more would that cost to make, etc?

Don't forget how much weight will it add to the car?

why spend the money to develop it go to someone that has already done the R and D like Audi and use their stuff.