Ford Unveils The 2013 GT500 - 5.8L and 650HP

2011SVT

why the hate? i own mustangs, a vette, and a hotrod caddy. each are unique in their own way. each have aspects i love and aspects i don't. i'd rock a '13 GT500 without even thinking twice about it---and so would you. vette has a cro-magnon pushrod motor, plastic interior shared with the cobalt, leaf springs (wtf?), and seats that are so horrible that the man responsible for them needs to die a horrible, painful, slow death. didn't you own a vette before? ever push on the rear plastic of the car and experience the sheer terror as you swore the whole thing was going to cave in?? yeah, ford needs to build a car on level with the vette. calm down, we're not talking about the mustang being compared to a ferrari.

all that being said, i own a c6z. i wouldn't trade the z for a new GT500, but i might just buy a '13 GT500 for the fuck of it. a factory-warrantied car with a 650hp blown 32 valve V8, capable of 202mph (and a backseat for my kids) sounds pretty sweet. i'll take mine with the droptop.

Jones loves this post

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why the hate? i own mustangs, a vette, and a hotrod caddy. each are unique in their own way. each have aspects i love and aspects i don't. i'd rock a '13 GT500 without even thinking twice about it---and so would you. vette has a cro-magnon pushrod motor, plastic interior shared with the cobalt, leaf springs (wtf?), and seats that are so horrible that the man responsible for them needs to die a horrible, painful, slow death. didn't you own a vette before? ever push on the rear plastic of the car and experience the sheer terror as you swore the whole thing was going to cave in?? yeah, ford needs to build a car on level with the vette. calm down, we're not talking about the mustang being compared to a ferrari.

all that being said, i own a c6z. i wouldn't trade the z for a new GT500, but i might just buy a '13 GT500 for the fuck of it. a factory-warrantied car with a 650hp blown 32 valve V8, capable of 202mph (and a backseat for my kids) sounds pretty sweet. i'll take mine with the droptop.

LOLz, I'm with you Kirk.

Wow 10.89 in a modded mustang? Lol I've personally seen a Z06 with DRs go 10.90s. The aerodynamics and weight are what's going to and will most always kill the Mustangs performance.

What did your modded vette run? C'mon man. 550 wheel and 11.70s? Maybe you should hold off on the ET comments. Look at the 60'. It's 1.82. Not very good at all. You should know that it's more than what the car makes, but who is driving and if the suspension is good enough to put it down to run a number.

The weight of the newer cars, vette witheld, is terrible. I agree with that.

Honestly, you need to check out the BOSS!!! There was a girl at the Texas Mile with one and the Kenne Bell Mammoth making 835whp on the stock motor. That is the Mustang to have until the new GT500 proves itself...

Tracy was pitted a few cars down from us at the Texas Mile. Talked to her a decent amount over the weekend. We have some of the same friends. She seemed pretty cool and the car is very nice. Im not usually big on the way kenne bell blowers look but the boss car is nice and clean and everything looks like it belongs rather than a bunch of parts being purchased from the hardware store....

Which one is she? http://www.texasmile.net/mileresults.php?event=7

I can't find a Boss listed.

She ran in the place of Ken Bjonnes, so as you are looking up the results, you need to look for Ken's name. Her best of the weekend was 165.5. The car had more in it but it was laying over bad on the top end. There are a few different stories on it. In the pits everyone was saying it went into failsafe past the 1/2 mile mark and the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree but her husband or someone from their shop posted on s197 that she did 165.5 in the half and then lifted....I dont know the real story. Im more inclined to say the first is the truth from what I saw but who knows. Either way the platform is a great platform to work with and that car has plenty of potential. It has already ran some nasty speeds in the 1/4.

The 5.8 with a TVS should be a fun platform. One thing for sure, that combo should make a lot of torque. I would imagine that Ford will limit some of the low end torque output to make the car more driver friendly. The tvs may not like much more pulley than what the car comes with which means alot will probably end up going to a larger blower to make more power.

As far as modding a car or even using a car for race use and the warranty being in tact, if the manufacturers can prove that either was done, they shouldnt be liable to warranty the vehicle. I know alot will not agree with that but the fact is that the american muscle cars are some of the most mod friendly cars out there and they get more and more expensive every year and im sure the margins arent rising much if any on them. Part of that cost is simply warranty work from abuse. What we are starting to see now is manufacturers encrypting pcm's to prevent aftermarket tuning. The new Ecoboost motors, the 6.7 diesel trucks, and the 20111-2012 Chrysler platforms all come to mind. The manufacturers are so determined to stop false warranty claims that they are getting to the point of denying warranty on things that probably should be covered just because it is borderline. At the end of the day it is a business and the only way for them to stay in business and they need to be profitable in all aspects in order to be able to continue to produce the cars we all love and enjoy. Now obviously this is only one small problem with the american auto manufacturers and there are plenty of other issues that could be pointed out but the bottom line is you have to pay to play....

Yea the 60' on that Mustang sucked, but the Z06 had an intake and DRs. I'm just saying, Ford can add all the power they want but it'll be hard to make a pig run. It's like Andy Katz running against Boom, you Already know the outcome before they start.

Very true. The newer GT500's are much improved in handling as well, but they need to be lighter. I'd like to drive both and get a personal comparison before I pass too much judgement though. I'd say the comparison is going to be the ZL1 and the GT500.

Comparing a Mustang to a Corvette...smh lol. Too bad a Z06 would still beat it. Nice try tho Ford. Come out with a car on the Corvettes level and then try and compare.

Who did that?

Wow 10.89 in a modded mustang? Lol I've personally seen a Z06 with DRs go 10.90s. The aerodynamics and weight are what's going to and will most always kill the Mustangs performance.

That run was on OEM street tires with stock supsension. Only the blower and power upgrades....NOTHING else...

It's the MPH that's more impressive on a completely STOCK engine!

Tracy was pitted a few cars down from us at the Texas Mile. Talked to her a decent amount over the weekend. We have some of the same friends. She seemed pretty cool and the car is very nice. Im not usually big on the way kenne bell blowers look but the boss car is nice and clean and everything looks like it belongs rather than a bunch of parts being purchased from the hardware store....

Thankyou for the info, I didn't see her again before we left...

I'd say the comparison is going to be the ZL1 and the GT500.

+1

The Camaro/ZL1 is there market, otherwise what 4-door car does GM have that competes....

my cobra died at discount tire while getting drag radials mounted in 2007. just wouldn't start. had it towed to the ford dealership in hilliard. turns out the fuel line had become disconnected inside the fuel tank (entirely my fault, i had just added larger diameter fuel hoses and deleted a restriction in the hosing--guess i didn't attach everything securely). the car was less than 3 years old, and still technically under warranty. the only part of the fuel system which was stock was the fuel pumps. everything else was aftermarket, including the giant blower on top of the motor. they fixed the problem with no charge. i was throughly surprised.

my cobra died at discount tire while getting drag radials mounted in 2007. just wouldn't start. had it towed to the ford dealership in hilliard. turns out the fuel line had become disconnected inside the fuel tank (entirely my fault, i had just added larger diameter fuel hoses and deleted a restriction in the hosing--guess i didn't attach everything securely). the car was less than 3 years old, and still technically under warranty. the only part of the fuel system which was stock was the fuel pumps. everything else was aftermarket, including the giant blower on top of the motor. they fixed the problem with no charge. i was throughly surprised.

Im shocked, I took mine in under warranty cause 5th ate a syncro, and got my powertrain warranty voided. I was told "I had been doing burnouts............................IN 5TH GEAR!" thats why it broke, I told the service manager and his boss to "suck my Dick" the car had never even been to the track at that point. Live and learn.

Just found out that not only is the 5.8l running 15PSI vs 10PSI for the 550HP 5.4l, but compression has also been bumped from 8.4:1 up to 9.0:1! I really can't wait to see what just a tune does for this animal!

3800lbs is the 'new' 3500lbs. the days of pony cars weighing 3500lbs are largely over. when you add in all the safety equipment, entertainment crap, the blower, etc, you end up with a 3800+lb car. the zl1 is likely going to be over 4000lbs.

Yep, GM officially released the ZL1 weight at 4120lbs:megusta: 3850lbs for the GT500. the boss 302 comes in at 3630lbs, and the mustang GT at 3600 even(6 speed).