Ford Unveils The 2013 GT500 - 5.8L and 650HP

2011SVT

why spend the money to develop it go to someone that has already done the R and D like Audi and use their stuff.

i'd consider buying that faggy little ttrs if they offered the twin clutch in the US. with a tune, boltons, and more boost, you'd be looking at close to 500hp/awd/twin clutch/launch control. as it sits, its a 12.2 car stock with the auto.

i'm not quite ready to buy a porsche or m5--maybe in a couple years, we'll see.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would like to see them all (Camaro/Mustang/Challenger) go on a 500+ lb diet. It's amazing how much faster a LS3 "Feels" in a stock C6 as opposed to a 2010+ Camaro. If 3800lbs wasn't the new "Feather weight" then you wouldn't need 650hp to actually make a car feel fast lol.

Jeff

i agree 100%. unfortunately, people demand heated/cooled 10 way power seats, power everything, navigation, 20" wheels, and the safety regulations insist on 10+ airbags in every car. everything adds weight. the blower and all the supporting/cooling shit. all the oil coolers, beefier suspension, etc. it would be interesting if they offered a stripped down version with just the bare essentials. i can remember when ford came out with the 2000 cobra R. no power seats/windows/etc. no radio, no a/c, very little sound deadener. for some reason, the car still weighed 3600lbs, which was considered very heavy at the time. these days, it would be a lightweight

switching from the vette to the v, is a HUGE difference, in terms of weight to the car, and handling capabilities/feel

i'd consider buying that faggy little ttrs if they offered the twin clutch in the US. with a tune, boltons, and more boost, you'd be looking at close to 500hp/awd/twin clutch/launch control. as it sits, its a 12.2 car stock with the auto.

i'm not quite ready to buy a porsche or m5--maybe in a couple years, we'll see.

Dude, I was heart broken about that as well.

Was on top of my list until people decided they needed the 6mt. :fuuuu:

Stock 0-60 3.6 and 12.1 1/4 mile.

Flash / Exhaust = 3.0 flat & 11.5 @ 120's.

Yep, that just further proves my point. GM/Dodge are currently in the process of building a brand new out of date supercar. But they'll kick some serious ass at the mile events!

So what car is going to be the first factory mass produced 9 second car? I'm thinking either Porsche or Nissan, with one of them doing it in the next 5 years.

Yep, that just further proves my point. GM/Dodge are currently in the process of building a brand new out of date supercar. But they'll kick some serious ass at the mile events!

So what car is going to be the first factory mass produced 9 second car? I'm thinking either Porsche or Nissan, with one of them doing it in the next 5 years.

No idea, but the GT-R is becoming a hard to resist purchase.

I'm waiting to see what the new S6 is going to do with a tune.

4.0L TT V8 & 7 speed DSG.

I'd hate to stray from the family, but reliable 10's with a flash is hard to argue with while retaining year around drive ability & comfort.

my buddy was seriously crushed over this. he may very well try to import one. he has the v8 s5, with a chip/exhaust, and drives it year round in wisconsin snow. i would honestly look at a ttrs with the auto, if it actually came to the US.

Those sound fun but I want the EURO RS6 V10-TT...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDI-XVw3S8DKAxXIUkJW6dQhIqiFhQyjCo-gWYBLgm6YEoUd6qyQ

Believe me, it's on the short list when I finally hit the mega millions.

Nothing like rolling a 458 Italia even at 200+ with your 4500lb luxo barge.

True but that's what the GTR weighs so it might not feel that bad behind the wheel. Honestly, you need to check out the BOSS!!! There was a girl at the Texas Mile with one and the Kenne Bell Mammoth making 835whp on the stock motor. That is the Mustang to have until the new GT500 proves itself...

Which one is she? http://www.texasmile.net/mileresults.php?event=7

I can't find a Boss listed.

I think those are only the preregistered racers because I don't see her on there. She may have been on the standby list and they let her run anyway. Her name is Tracey and she goes by racerat. She was doing her license passes when I left so not sure if she got to make a full speed run.

Her car is in the latest MM&FF issue.....

I was wrong, she made something like 735whp on 15lbs and 850whp on I think 20lbs of boost...

Video:

The complete mod list on the Boss is:

-KB 3.6 kit (with the biggest pulley they make)

-low profile motor mounts for clearance

-75lb injectors

-BAP

-MS 109

-one piece driveshaft

-3.31s

-line lock

-285/40/18 NT05Rs

-MGW Shifter

-MGW License Plate Frame

-iPod connector. :)

No suspension, no slicks/skinnies, no exhaust. It still has factory cats. Car was idle launched and granny shifted.

I have a new Centerforce Twin Disc clutch and a whole selection of pulleys to try out after the 6-point goes in and I get a little more seat time.

I'm not competing with anyone or trying to claim the "fastest, first, whatever" title. Just sharing info about how amazing these cars are with the right combo.

http://www.racerats.com/boss/1086boss.jpg

and a full warranty--helps you sleep at night, while you beat the hell out of the car on the way to starbuck's during the day

Lol. I understand what you're saying.....HOWEVER.....do you remember that huge deal the Raptor owners made about Ford not replacing their frames? Ford advertises the Raptor as a Baja 1000-ready vehicle, showroom floor to Baja 1000. So some guys went out and off-roaded in it - not even close to Baja territory, abuse wise - and after a HUGE ordeal, Ford determined that they wouldn't warranty the frame, and that the damage was from owner abuse.

Cliffs: Warranty is great. HONORING that warranty is key.

The craziest thing I saw listed for this car is the top speed is over 200 MPH

I don't think the car will do it, not without a serious tailwind and a lot of praying imo. Theyre going off of math on paper. I've seen a lot of cars claim they can go 200mph, a lot of them don't.

I'm still waiting on the lighter IRS platform in 2015ish, until then mine will do.

Lol. I understand what you're saying.....HOWEVER.....do you remember that huge deal the Raptor owners made about Ford not replacing their frames? Ford advertises the Raptor as a Baja 1000-ready vehicle, showroom floor to Baja 1000. So some guys went out and off-roaded in it - not even close to Baja territory, abuse wise - and after a HUGE ordeal, Ford determined that they wouldn't warranty the frame, and that the damage was from owner abuse.

this is true. just like z06 owners are having difficulty getting motor warranties if they track their car. you're much, much less likely to have an issue if the car is stock. i can guarantee you, if you blow the motor with a pulley on the blower, you will be s.o.l. gm voided an ls7 motor warranty because the guy had brake cooling ducts on his car--wtf?

I don't think the car will do it, not without a serious tailwind and a lot of praying imo. Theyre going off of math on paper. I've seen a lot of cars claim they can go 200mph, a lot of them don't.

I'm still waiting on the lighter IRS platform in 2015ish, until then mine will do.

As I understand it, this is a track tested figure, not a calculation.

I don't think Ford was out of place with the RAPTOR warranty. The only trucks that have had issues were on that particular run and they have recorded footage of when it happened. Speeds/modified suspension/scenario/etc...

It's not like these car won't be modded so people will be at there own risk. I can't blame FORD for that but the pre'13's are holding up to some insane power with factory parts...

Have you read any of the literature on it?

Ford doesn't claim stuff like that without extensive testing and documented results....

As I understand it, this is a track tested figure, not a calculation.

You are correct... ;)

Second, much has been made of the 2013 GT500′s mph top speed, and obviously any Mustang that can top the magical 200 mph barrier is impressive. We asked Hameedi if they had ever gone for a top speed run or if the number was simply an estimate, and he said that they had done high speed testing at the Nardo Ring in Italy earlier this year. “There’s plenty of places to hit 180 mph in the U.S. but not many places to go 200 mph,” he told us. So what was the result of the testing? Hameedi says that SVT recorded a top speed of 202 mph in the 2013 Shelby GT500, the result of a combination of the extra power from the supercharged 5.8-liter V8 and improved aerodynamics. So there you have it – the official top speed of the 2013 Shelby GT500 is 202 mph.

That's bullshit. Nearly every bent frame came from the one "Raptor Run" in Nevada(IIRC), and every truck from that event that had a bent frame(10 out of 14) had the speed limiter removed and was running 100+MPH when they hit the kicker(that no one was warned about of course). Most were also running softer Deaver leaf springs in place of the stiffer stock springs. Even trophy truck teams pre-run courses, but these guys didn't. There are a lot of guys that have "went out and off-roaded" the Raptor, but extremely minute amount have had issues - let alone bent frames. Ignorance and stupidity IS NOT an excuse!

Have you read any of the literature on it?

Ford doesn't claim stuff like that without extensive testing and documented results....

No. I hope I am wrong, and if what you posted is true I stand corrected. This is a susbstantial milestone especially as this is a factory car with a warranty and everything else that goes with a road car these days.

Wow 10.89 in a modded mustang? Lol I've personally seen a Z06 with DRs go 10.90s. The aerodynamics and weight are what's going to and will most always kill the Mustangs performance.

I think those are only the preregistered racers because I don't see her on there. She may have been on the standby list and they let her run anyway. Her name is Tracey and she goes by racerat. She was doing her license passes when I left so not sure if she got to make a full speed run.

Her car is in the latest MM&FF issue.....

I was wrong, she made something like 735whp on 15lbs and 850whp on I think 20lbs of boost...

Video:

http://www.racerats.com/boss/1086boss.jpg

Also, look out for HUGE gains from just a tune - the '13 GT500 is pushing 15PSI out of the TVS supercharger right from the factory.

You drive a Ford, that's why ur pissed, I get it

Yea, and I'm about to sell it because it gets shit gas mileage and it's nickel and diming me(4WD solenoid, AC compressor, front shocks, idler pulley, hood struts, battery, etc.). My first car was a '92 cavalier Z24, and my second was a '93 tracker, but you can think whatever you want.

Comparing a Mustang to a Corvette...smh lol. Too bad a Z06 would still beat it. Nice try tho Ford. Come out with a car on the Corvettes level and then try and compare.

why the hate? i own mustangs, a vette, and a hotrod caddy. each are unique in their own way. each have aspects i love and aspects i don't. i'd rock a '13 GT500 without even thinking twice about it---and so would you. vette has a cro-magnon pushrod motor, plastic interior shared with the cobalt, leaf springs (wtf?), and seats that are so horrible that the man responsible for them needs to die a horrible, painful, slow death. didn't you own a vette before? ever push on the rear plastic of the car and experience the sheer terror as you swore the whole thing was going to cave in?? yeah, ford needs to build a car on level with the vette. calm down, we're not talking about the mustang being compared to a ferrari.

all that being said, i own a c6z. i wouldn't trade the z for a new GT500, but i might just buy a '13 GT500 for the fuck of it. a factory-warrantied car with a 650hp blown 32 valve V8, capable of 202mph (and a backseat for my kids) sounds pretty sweet. i'll take mine with the droptop.