Emissions Testing Q's

Dr. Apex

I'm considering moving and emissions testing is required. For those of you who have dealt with this on a modified car, is it even worth the hassle?

My car is lacking some components which would be easy to fix but the ecu has been tuned by Mr. Turner(maybe he could elaborate a little on this) and that looks like it could be an issue. What do some places look for in this testing and also inspection of the car? I'm not looking to put a ton of money in the car just to make it legit for this crap so if I have to, it may just become a trailer queen but I'd really rather drive it on a regular basis which is what I bought it for.

Thanx in advance.

I don't know a lot about it, but I do know it varies a lot on where you are. Some inspections will consist of a quick scan to make sure your OBD2 readiness tests have passed, others will actually hook up a 5 gas analyzer. Its my understanding that Pennsylvania is more concerned with rust and saftey items then emissions.

Doing some research I could at the least get away with an Ohio tag for 7mos roughly. Their testing seems to just consist of an obd test rather than tail pipe emissions but a pic I found on the state website shows a guy hooking up a tail pipe tester, going to have to research a little more.

I don't know a lot about it, but I do know it varies a lot on where you are. Some inspections will consist of a quick scan to make sure your OBD2 readiness tests have passed, others will actually hook up a 5 gas analyzer. Its my understanding that Pennsylvania is more concerned with rust and saftey items then emissions.

depends on teh location

some will look for anything that has been removed, others just look for cats.

Definitely varies state to state. In Maryland they just hook up the scanner to the OBD2 port and test the gas cap, they don't put it on rollers (they took them all out after many cars got damaged). For older then 96 model year you get the sniffer in the tailpipe and testing of the gas cap. I've yet to have them even look under my cars with a mirror. All mine are legal so no worry if they did but I've not owned a fast car since I started doing emissions. I see corvettes and mustangs there when I go and never seen them look under either.

Arizona. According to their website they can/do a visual check of the vehicle to look for "Tampering" with their Readiness test. It probably varies and from some message boards it sounds relatively relaxed but who knows when bringing in a vehicle from out of state and it's quite clear mine has been modified which could or could not send them looking for other things. May just have to flash the car to stock with a diff xpipe to make it happen.

mabe arizona has some back door shops you can get your "pass" from that seems like the norm as far as emissions go in the west.

They have them all over, then you have to worry about cops. The police here are "trained" to "spot" mods/engine swaps. A loud car/lowered car is just asking for it. After being fined out the ass if your car is not put back to stock and passing another smog/inspection .your car will then be non op in the state and can only be sold out the state. Only way around it is having a car not reg in the state, then the cops can't fuck with you, or driving a non modded car.

Theres always a shop like that I think, as long as there is money to be made.

If something was an issue I'm sure I could remedy it, like I said before I enjoy driving the car too much not to have it avail to drive everday though if were to move there and like it enough to stay I'd just trailer the car if I had to.

Arizona. According to their website they can/do a visual check of the vehicle to look for "Tampering" with their Readiness test. It probably varies and from some message boards it sounds relatively relaxed but who knows when bringing in a vehicle from out of state and it's quite clear mine has been modified which could or could not send them looking for other things. May just have to flash the car to stock with a diff xpipe to make it happen.

As long as you don't move to Cali, you'll be fine. Plenty of shops that will take care of your needs. Talk to the local Mustang shops and ask who they use... ;)

As long as you don't move to Cali, you'll be fine. Plenty of shops that will take care of your needs. Talk to the local Mustang shops and ask who they use... ;)

It's funny you say that as I thought the same about cali. Having been out in socal several times recently I saw a number of modified cars with tinted taillights, slammed to the ground, loud ass exhausts, etc..... either they clearly aren't enforcing the laws out there or are really easy to get around.

Will be def getting ahold of some local car guys out there to get some first hand info.

I agree with this. Keep the Mustang Ohio-registered for as long as possible, then check with the locals on how they work around the system. Good excuse to make some new friends!

Since you are into AutoX, I would assume the local SCCA/NASA chapter has some knowledge. Don't sweat this until you actually make the move.

I agree with this. Keep the Mustang Ohio-registered for as long as possible, then check with the locals on how they work around the system. Good excuse to make some new friends!

Since you are into AutoX, I would assume the local SCCA/NASA chapter has some knowledge. Don't sweat this until you actually make the move.

Been looking into that of course, seeing their schedule is odd as they run in the winter and not the summer of course. I did find out that I should have about 7mos before I'd have to register the car so I have time to figure things out.

you have nothing to worry about in AZ. their worried about noise. keep it quite, do whatever.

he has a lot to worry about then. that thing is loud.

When I lived in socal we could always find a shop willing to pass your car, it would cost a couple hundred extra to get them to pass it, but it could be done.

1) Become friends with someone who does emissions testing.

2) Keep car registered in Ohio

3) Find out what the Mustang crows in Arizona does to pass emissions.

I was talking to a guy in California who has the same setup S4 as me, and I told him that I would eventually make my way out there, but wouldn't be able to pass emissions. He said it's not hard, there are many ways around it.