Consequences of no building permits

BDHG940

They can make him take it down. I think there was an example of that on here not to long ago. A driveway/parking spot wasn't approved and the owner (who had bought the house in the current condition) had received a letter to remove it. There can also be fines. Technically it could be tax evasion. Being that it is an improvement on the property it raises the property value which increases the taxes. By not getting permits and declaring the value they could claim that the person was trying to avoid taxes.

They can make him take it down. I think there was an example of that on here not to long ago. A driveway/parking spot wasn't approved and the owner (who had bought the house in the current condition) had received a letter to remove it. There can also be fines. Technically it could be tax evasion. Being that it is an improvement on the property it raises the property value which increases the taxes. By not getting permits and declaring the value they could claim that the person was trying to avoid taxes.

That was me.

Nearly a decade (and 3 owners later) I got notice to remove the parking pad or get a variance which costs a decent buck. I have an appeal in January. So yea they can come after you whenever they want.

That was me.

Nearly a decade (and 3 owners later) I got notice to remove the parking pad or get a variance which costs a decent buck. I have an appeal in January. So yea they can come after you whenever they want.

Supposedly yours is out of code though.

Like said above, depends on where they are. Could range from having to get it inspected, fixing anything out of code, and paying a fine, to paying a fine and having to tear it down.

My guess everything is out of code since nothing has been zoned or approved. Bare minimum it needs to be at a point where everything can be inspected. No interior walls would be the first thing. I assume they would want to be able to see EVERY electrical connection and path it took, every plumbing connection and it's path. Gets bad if they want to inspect things like foundation or plumbing/electrical that goes through a concrete floor etc. It is not going to be cheap.

Whats the city it was built in? Each has their own rules.

They do have their own rules, but the State of Ohio requires a building permit for any improvements. Water heater, window, countertop... Any construction/replacement/addition requires a permit and inspection. Any city/township/whatever that doesn't require one is not in compliance with Ohio State law.

The garage is built and as long as nobody complains or it doesnt become obvious to those who would care, tell your friend to not worry about it.

I have built several things on properties where a permit is required for them, nobody has never said a thing. Why did he not get a permit?

They do have their own rules, but the State of Ohio requires a building permit for any improvements. Water heater, window, countertop... Any construction/replacement/addition requires a permit and inspection. Any city/township/whatever that doesn't require one is not in compliance with Ohio State law.

The state has codes, but I have never nor ever heard of anyone pulling a state permit for a home improvement, or normal construction shy of state owned property. I am getting ready to do a commercial property, I am not nor am I supposed to inform the state of what I am doing. I will pull my permits through the city and health dept(I need this for the project), and these groups will have their own inspectors. The inspector will know that city code will automatically match state code plus any seperate codes adopted by the city.

Edited by wnaplay

The garage is built and as long as nobody complains or it doesnt become obvious to those who would care, tell your friend to not worry about it.

I have built several things on properties where a permit is required for them, nobody has never said a thing. Why did he not get a permit?

He got a friend of a friend to do it "dirt cheap", but didn't realize or wasn't informed enough to know that the guy built it without any permits.

If hes worried about it, have him contact the city, tell them what happened he will probably have to pay for inspections as he would have if done legally and probably pay a fine. They just want their money. The fine wont be any more or less than it will be 20years from now if they find out so unless he is willing to tear it down if they say so without a fight just tell him not to worry about it if it never becomes an issue.

thats right the guy across the street from me put up a 2 1/2 car garage an redid his whole house without a permit.the city made him take the garage down.an they made him still get a permit to do that.it has been 4 years fighting with the city.he had his house sold 3 years ago an the city stop the sale.just because he didnt have have permits to do the inside of the house.he has been in court the city is trying to make him GUT his house out an start over with PERMITS.

Id Burn it for insurance......

Opps...Guess my wiring wasnt to code and a Fire Started.

That's what I would do too. Fuck the city. Grease fire in kitchen, panic and couldn't find my phones, etc....by the time the fire dept got to my place, it would be a lost cause.