MPG fun

dragknee66

Wow. That's an automatic TDi, right?

It cracks me up listening to NPR how most of the automotive industry "experts" still say that hybrid technology is the cheapest and best way to get higher MPG out of their product lineup.

I would wager that a good 6-, 7-, or 8-speed transmission and a smaller, highly-boosted 4cyl diesel would get higher MPG and just as good performance over a gas/electric hybrid.

• Upvote 1

a smaller, highly-boosted 4cyl diesel would get higher MPG and just as good performance over a gas/electric hybrid.

But how would it compare to a diesel/electric hybrid?

Yes the TDis get outstanding mileage. My dad's 08' didn't do quite that well until he got a "Euro Tune" (or something) loaded. That is over twice as good as my gas 2.2 liter turbo 5-cylinder.

It cracks me up listening to NPR how most of the automotive industry "experts" still say that hybrid technology is the cheapest and best way to get higher MPG out of their product lineup.

I've never heard experts say that hybrids are the cheapest and best. Maybe pundits or marketing morons, but... well, I guess for a loose enough definition of expert, any expert can say anything.

Diesels are a dead end in this country, though. At the moment they cost too much and the fuel is too expensive to justify one for any reason other than bragging rights, and in a decade they'll all be legislated out of existence.

Hybrids are a dead end too, but I think they'll last a bit longer.

6speed. It would be higher if it wasnt cold and my foot wasnt in the gas so much. 55mpg is easily done come summer time after a good part of this break in is over.

Their diesel models are selling like crazy right now. Hybrids are nice but Ill take this daily econobox Jetta over a weird ass looking Prius ANY day. I mean seriously I need to maintain SOME of my man hood for going to a "regular" car lol.

As for price.. I paid 23,600 + taxes for my brand spanking new 2012. That was the 6speed premium package, another 1500 for an auto and 1k for fogs, nav and push button start features.

As for price.. I paid 23,600 + taxes for my brand spanking new 2012. That was the 6speed premium package, another 1500 for an auto and 1k for fogs, nav and push button start features.

That's not bad. My basic math and the 2 minutes I was willing to spend at vw.com suggests that it will take approx 7 years at current fuel prices to break even over the 2.5L.

6speed. It would be higher if it wasnt cold and my foot wasnt in the gas so much. 55mpg is easily done come summer time after a good part of this break in is over.

Their diesel models are selling like crazy right now. Hybrids are nice but Ill take this daily econobox Jetta over a weird ass looking Prius ANY day. I mean seriously I need to maintain SOME of my man hood for going to a "regular" car lol.

I <3 TDI's.

Good purchase!

Don't forget, if you mod it, you'll only gain MPG & Enough torque to merge with confidence!

Just wanted to share.. my new TDI Jetta achieved an impressive 50.8mpg (actual) average over my weekend trip. This was done with cruise on 71mph and flooring it up almost every long highway hill (still in break in 1400 miles).

:fuckyeah:

And you made fun of me for my Yaris and its MPG. :p