jeep fluids

AWW$HEEET

Not sure about price but definitely dont get it flushed, that said good luck getting just a drain and fill done at one of the quick joints. And get full synthetic ATF +4 for the trans, fluids other then ATF +X caused horrible TCC/shift shudder in my old Concorde. Most shops will just put in what they have available, or what they "say" is compatible - dont fall for it.

how much should i look to spend to have all the following fluids changed on my cherokee:

coolant

brake fluid

both diffs

tcase

transmission fluid (not flush, maybe just tranny filter and fluid)

What year is it?

Are you taking it to a shop? Or doing it yourself?

I would say around 200-250 to do yourself. If your getting good diff fluid.

Not sure about price but definitely dont get it flushed, that said good luck getting just a drain and fill done at one of the quick joints. And get full synthetic ATF +4 for the trans, fluids other then ATF +X caused horrible TCC/shift shudder in my old Concorde. Most shops will just put in what they have available, or what they "say" is compatible - dont fall for it.

forward flushes are fine reverse flushes are what kill the Jeep Trans.

Gabe figure $50 for both diffs

2 quarts for the tcase $10

the trans it will lose about one gallon for with a filter figure about $50ish

brakes get 2 bottles so $10

as for coolant not sure on how much water it will hold maybe 3 or 4 gallons figure about $100ish

forward flushes are fine reverse flushes are what kill the Jeep Trans.

Question is do you trust joe-schmoe to know what machine the shop is running and even then do you trust him to give you an honest answer?

That said I think reverse-flushing is ancient technology and most shops today are running forward flush equipment, but still, after all the horror stories I've read regarding flushes there's no way in hell i'd ever get one done.

Personally I just disconnect the (input) Trans cooler line @ the Radiator and attach an adapter-hose. Then run the engine for 10-15 seconds, key off, add fluid (as you normally would), then start it up again. Repeat until the fluid comes out nice n clear. Best way to do it IMO cause you get all the fluid thats in the converter, and you don't make a complete mess of the garage. Downside is you don't get to change the filter but personally i've never seen them clogged, all the junk usually ends up on the magnet in the pan.

Question is do you trust joe-schmoe to know what machine the shop is running and even then do you trust him to give you an honest answer?

That said I think reverse-flushing is ancient technology and most shops today are running forward flush equipment, but still, after all the horror stories I've read regarding flushes there's no way in hell i'd ever get one done.

Personally I just disconnect the (input) Trans cooler line @ the Radiator and attach an adapter-hose. Then run the engine for 10-15 seconds, key off, add fluid (as you normally would), then start it up again. Repeat until the fluid comes out nice n clear. Best way to do it IMO cause you get all the fluid thats in the converter, and you don't make a complete mess of the garage. Downside is you don't get to change the filter but personally i've never seen them clogged, all the junk usually ends up on the magnet in the pan.

Everything u said was right on the money. But as for the trans I would still drop the pan and change the filter.

how many miles are on the transmission? if your over 90k on it i wouldn't touch anything because your just asking for trouble. i have rebuilt a few that just had the fluid changed and then the transmission started slipping.

Thats what I've heard from some trans. guys and man I just don't buy it (I think mjrsplat argued something along the lines that when fluid is that old the particulate matter suspended in it is actually acting as a clutch or something :confused:). Every time I have changed the fluid in my vehicles they have all performed remarkably better (especially when converting to synthetic), and alot of them had well over 100,000 miles. Even vehicles with both 100,000+ miles and obviously cooked fluid performed flawless after a drain and fill.

Thats what I've heard from some trans. guys and man I just don't buy it (I think mjrsplat argued something along the lines that when fluid is that old the particulate matter suspended in it is actually acting as a clutch or something :confused:). Every time I have changed the fluid in my vehicles they have all performed remarkably better (especially when converting to synthetic), and alot of them had well over 100,000 miles. Even vehicles with both 100,000+ miles and obviously cooked fluid performed flawless after a drain and fill.

i didn't say it was a sure thing. i'm pretty sure since i've rebuilt hundreds of transmissions at the dealer i would have a good idea what i'm talking about.

i have seen it go both ways, some had no problems, some came back after a few months and i've seen a few that didn't make it out of the parking lot. the ones that didn't make it out the parking lot were slipping when they brought them in and since they know better than me had us flush it because "that would fix it":lolguy:

i didn't say it was a sure thing. i'm pretty sure since i've rebuilt hundreds of transmissions at the dealer i would have a good idea what i'm talking about.

i have seen it go both ways, some had no problems, some came back after a few months and i've seen a few that didn't make it out of the parking lot. the ones that didn't make it out the parking lot were slipping when they brought them in and since they know better than me had us flush it because "that would fix it":lolguy:

Not to flatter you or anything but I knew you were good, just didn't know you were that good lol...shit I thought most dealerships simply replaced transmissions nowadays because they couldn't find enough experienced techs to rebuild them.

But as a rule of thumb (assuming the customer is legit...and I know what you get for assuming) if it's not acting up, and the fluid appears to be ok based on coloration shouldn't a drain and fill be ok? Again i've heard several arguments against this and I don't buy them, how often do you see comebacks on routine trans maintenance, or simple drain and fills? And moreover do you verify the trans is trouble free before draining the fluid, or do you just go ahead and do it? Most of the entry-level shops I have worked at do not, they just go ahead with what the customer wants (and add in a lengthy disclaimer).

And someone give gabe a quote before he flames me for derailing his thread:gabe:

Edited by acklac7

x2 Ive seen it happen a lot on fords..

Cause Ford and Chysler tranny's suck donkey balls. GM post-80's = badass:fuckyeah:

That said if you read up on Chrysler trans and service them with the right fluid at the right intervals they hold strong.

Not to flatter you or anything but I knew you were good, just didn't know you were that good lol...shit I thought most dealerships simply replaced transmissions nowadays because they couldn't find enough experienced techs to rebuild them.

But as a rule of thumb if it's not acting up shouldn't a drain and fill be ok? Again i've heard several arguments against this and I don't buy them, how often do you see comebacks on routine trans maintenance, or simple drain and fills? And moreover do you verify the trans is trouble free before draining the fluid, or do you just go ahead and do it? Most of the shops I have worked at do not, they just go ahead with what the customer wants.

hours to rebuild were close to double in most cases the time it paid to replace so thats just smart math. warranty wise you had to do a cost comparison if you wanted to replace and if you did too many replacements they would audit and could charge back to the dealer.

if you have 100k on a transmission and its never been serviced i had seen them start to slip after a flush was done. there is friction modifiers in transmission fluid that break down with age and when you replace them with new fluid worn parts can wear faster because of them. its a bad analogy but it would be like you taking sand and using it to the point it becomes powder and then replacing it with fresh sand. bad things are going to happen when you do that.

if the customer came in and wanted a flush and it had over 70k with no history of being done before we would explain to them the risk and ask them if they are having any issues then let them make the call. depending on the condition of the car sometimes i would drive them sometimes not. if it was some junk beater i would for sure drive it because chances are they have a transmission issue and hope you flush it so you have to replace the transmission for free because "it wasn't slipping before you fixed it" if it was a well maintained car then no i never drove them.

O/T i did get us audited once because of cost to replace. there is a member on here that has his new Z06 drop a valve and the warranty total was just under 19k. that threw red flags at GM and they sent in a few people to look at the paper work lol.

Cause Ford and Chysler tranny's suck donkey balls. GM post-80's = badass:fuckyeah:

i don't know about all that.

funny story about ford though. we had one come into the shop slipping. it was a '01 diesel and we called to get a reman ford transmission because i for sure wasn't going to try and rebuild it. they wanted the serial number of the side of the transmission because their computer showed 32 transmissions that could fit that truck. needless to say the serial number was missing so we sent it to ford to let them figure it out lol.

i don't know about all that.

Best out of the big 3, thats for sure, they invented the thing after all. Not sure if I read it on here or not but read-up on how Ford fuckered up when they incorrectly copied GM's design plans, actually not that funny some racing legend died or something.

Edit: the article is no longer available on Wikipedia...bullshit.

Edited by acklac7

hours to rebuild were close to double in most cases the time it paid to replace so thats just smart math. warranty wise you had to do a cost comparison if you wanted to replace and if you did too many replacements they would audit and could charge back to the dealer.

if you have 100k on a transmission and its never been serviced i had seen them start to slip after a flush was done. there is friction modifiers in transmission fluid that break down with age and when you replace them with new fluid worn parts can wear faster because of them. its a bad analogy but it would be like you taking sand and using it to the point it becomes powder and then replacing it with fresh sand. bad things are going to happen when you do that.

if the customer came in and wanted a flush and it had over 70k with no history of being done before we would explain to them the risk and ask them if they are having any issues then let them make the call. depending on the condition of the car sometimes i would drive them sometimes not. if it was some junk beater i would for sure drive it because chances are they have a transmission issue and hope you flush it so you have to replace the transmission for free because "it wasn't slipping before you fixed it" if it was a well maintained car then no i never drove them.

O/T i did get us audited once because of cost to replace. there is a member on here that has his new Z06 drop a valve and the warranty total was just under 19k. that threw red flags at GM and they sent in a few people to look at the paper work lol.

Thank you sir :thumbup:

And lol @ 19k warranty claim.

how many miles are on the transmission? if your over 90k on it i wouldn't touch anything because your just asking for trouble. i have rebuilt a few that just had the fluid changed and then the transmission started slipping.

truck has 171,xxx miles, i am assuming it has the original tranny. maybe i will just leave it alone.

if it aint broke, dont fix it.

• 2 months later...

175,xxx miles now. did my rear diff, tcase, gonna do my front diff, and do a series of drain n fills on the tranny. ill wait til i drive to new york and back this weekend to do the tranny.

i may get my entire brake system flushed beforehand though. i dont feel like doing this, anyone estimate a price?