Rebuild or used motor

Tindall2006

I'd personally hit up the local junkyards for a motor, assuming you get one from a place with a warranty. IMO I wouldn't drop 1800 on an ebay motor for a $600 truck though.

If you want to be inventive with a solution, you could try pulling the piston and rod and unplug the injector from bad cylinder, then drive on 7 cylinders.

Why not sell this truck for $600, recoup your money and use it plus some if needed to buy what you originally intended to?

First, girlfriend dumped me, I want a project! :p

Second, I could have bought a 2-5 grand truck, and the transmisssion or engine could have crapped out in a week also. Used is used in my book

Third, I want a project lol... Just trying to determine how much $$ I wanna dump right away. If I could get a junkyard engine with a 30-90 day warrantee I could drive the piss out of it to see how well it would hold.

• 2 weeks later...

I got around to it and did a leak down test on the low cylinder. I could hear air in the exhaust and coming out of the oil filler cap! It was around 60 percent leak down.

I did another cylinder just to compare and I could hear the same about of noise in the exhaust but none coming out the oil filler. I think it was 10 to 15%

So, What are the odds that one cylinder is getting most of the oil from the intake plenum and the rings are just gummed up and frozen? lol

You could always pull it and strip it down, then decide whether to rebuild or replace. I'd have a plan ready to go for both of those options before starting so you don't spend a lot of time with the engine out getting things done. I still think tearing it down you'll find more problems than you want to deal with.

Still not sure which engine you have in your Dodge truck, but I would still probably strip it down first and see what is all bad before I dump the money into another used engine that might have all the same problems if not worst.

Would hate for that used engine to granade as you are towing down to TX in the middle of that 30 day "warranty" where you probably got to pull the engine and return it before they will give you a replacement. Kind of tough to do that on the road side multiple states away.

^^ I'm with this guy, if you got the extra time just tear it down for kicks to see what it needs, personally I would re-ring then pick up a good set of used heads and a new cam, covers all mentioned bases and I would mic the cylinders while your in there to make sure they are in tolerance, if they are then you know you will be doing a reliable rebuild, you never know how reliable a jy motor is going to be and that would be shitty to get half way to texas and have the motor give out.

Ok, Just curious, what would ya'll guess for a rebuild? I know you never know unless if you pull it apart but a guess?

Autozone has a long block for 1700 with a 3 year warranty... Doesn't sound like that bad of a choice to me when you look at turn around time. Plus it is easy to find a store.

• 4 weeks later...
Well I finally took off the intake manifold to do the plenum gasket. Tons of oil in there. I also pulled the head off to look at the cylinder walls. They are all shiney with no signs of crosshash :(. The low compression cylnder also has more noticeable ridge at the top of the cylinder then the otheres. I guess what I need to do now is get out my calipers and take some measurements and see how far out of rOund the cylinder is and if it's out of spec. I was plannIng on dropping the oil pan anyways and thus would be a ideal time to re ring that cylinder. I would like some input good or bad. Rering or leave it alone?

Well I finally took off the intake manifold to do the plenum gasket. Tons of oil in there. I also pulled the head off to look at the cylinder walls. They are all shiney with no signs of crosshash :(. The low compression cylnder also has more noticeable ridge at the top of the cylinder then the otheres. I guess what I need to do now is get out my calipers and take some measurements and see how far out of rOund the cylinder is and if it's out of spec. I was plannIng on dropping the oil pan anyways and thus would be a ideal time to re ring that cylinder. I would like some input good or bad. Rering or leave it alone?

Are you going to do the work yourself? If not, my buddy in Marysville does Magnums for Dakota and Ram guys. It's just his garage at his house but he does good work.

318 he just rebuilt for a guy with a Ram that ran it with 0 oil pressure. The owner wanted it painted that way. Mild 360 with forged rods and pistons, eddy heads. Then a forged 360, just waiting on heads. He works quick! If you want his email I can give it to you, even if you just want some good information on what to do.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/filbert383/Fortino555/33.jpg

I got some down and dirty numbers...

For the low compression cylinder

Bottom of clyinder is East west 101.44MM and top is 101.89 and north south is 101.44 and 101.98.

The other cylinders showed similar traits too though the low compression one had the most taper.

Specs from the FMS are

101.6-101.65

Taper max is .245 So seing some numbers am I completly dumb thinking about re ringing this truck? Will I see some good for a while? Go ahead and do it? Looking for the deep advice from the experts here the options being Re ring it, or run it till it blows.