Penny crunchers.. Ya those who buy gift cards to save on gas

dragknee66

Sooooo.. Is it really worth buying all the damn gift cards for saving on gas?

I just bought a diesel and sometimes its a whole $1.00 more per gallon, which is fine when I get 50mpg but thats besides the point :lolguy:

Shell and Kroger have partnered and Ive been getting .10-.20 here and there off my diesel but I noticed they sell Shell gas cards there TOOOO. Who here goes and buys those silly gift cards every time they go out to eat? Has anyone bought the Shell cards from Kroger for points???

I only bother with Giant Eagle if I'm doing something expensive like buying electronics from Best Buy, or if I know I have a bunch of crap to get at Lowe's or something. Definitely worth it, but ultimately you have to spend money to (kinda) save money so be careful with that mindset.

I will say that my parent buy just about everything with gift cards from GE, for instance, mcdonalds cards, they know they will be eating there at some point so they buy the card for X amount and end up saving a little toward gas. I know all their TVs and such they buy gift cards for best buy and since they are spending the 1000s there they might as well save on gas and get it free! Now they also have a hummer and thats what mainly gets the free gas.

So to them it is actually free gas, instead of buying overpriced food and getting gas but you actually don't save since you paid more to get the discount.

When we did our pergo floors we went and bought 1500 in lowes gift cards at GE and got 2 free tanks of gas out of it. Basically 2 free tanks for nothing, since we were spending the same amount of money on floors anyway

I do it with giant eagle. It works well if I am going to be spending money at a store anyways buy a gift card. One of my friends is a land lord and he always is buying stuff from home depot for repairs on the properties. He buys gift cards at giant eagle so much that he hasn't paid for gas in over 2 years. Make sure you bring extra gas cans with you. The discount or free gas depending is up to 30 gallons. Only rule is you can only fill up one car at a time. They don't care if fill up gas cans after you fill up your car.

We use Giant Eagle often for gift cards when we know we're going to go to a particular place to eat, or like the post above, Home Depot or stuff like that. We do it a lot during the holidays too because if you know you are going to spend a certain amount at a store then we buy the gift card for there and save some dinero on gas.

Giant Eagle is what I use, they have everything from itunes to cabelas to amazon, you name it and they probably have it. The other thing with Giant Eagle, is you can get the food perks while fueling so you can buy groceries or giftcards cheaper too. I just bought gas last night for 1.69/gal.

I remodeled my living room this summer. I started in June and bought around $3,000 worth of gift cards from Giant Eagle for Home Depot (on 23/750 they are across the street). I then brought 3 gas cans and got 30 gallons of gas at each fill up for free. That was around $100 of gas each time. I ran 2 cars until the end of Aug with free gas, around 200 gallons total.

Think about it, buy 1 $50 card and save $0.20 on gas. Fill up 30 gallons and that is $6, not much, but worth it for large purchases when you might save $0.80 or $24 on 30 gallon.

I currently have $3.40 off gas on my card after doing some x-mas shopping. I go pick up gift cards for every purchase around this time of the year. I figure if I am spending money on someone else, I might as well get free gas in return.

we shop at giant eagle yea the fiance pays a little more but dam its nice to get gas for 1.50 a gallon all the time... makes filling up the expedition (26gallon) for cheap WOOO!!!!!

but the 30 gallon max is nice for both the fiance and is accords

So I guess the next questions is which has the better cards.. GE or Kroger? I dont see Amazon cards at GE. I think I would use those the most really ha. The shell ones are nice since they have diesel fuel there. $50 for a shell card but I think you can only use HALF your points at any given time at the shell pump, hmmm

I bought $7k worth of home depot gift cards 2 months ago from giant eagle. Hells yeah, I have been getting $100 each week in free gas for weeks now. We buy them all the time.

Romanoff electric buys all their wire from home depot........ With gift cards bought from GE. the company runs year round on free gas

I’m all in on this GE gift card thing. I think the YTD saving on fuel for me and my wife is $1,200 or there abouts. I would have to look at one of our current receipts to get the exact number. We have three 5 gallons cans so we can get the full 30 gallons for free, don’t want to waste a single drop. Much like everyone has said we use it for everything. If we plan on going out for dinner we stop by and pick up a gift card. They even have GameStop gift cards.

I do it with giant eagle. It works well if I am going to be spending money at a store anyways buy a gift card. One of my friends is a land lord and he always is buying stuff from home depot for repairs on the properties. He buys gift cards at giant eagle so much that he hasn't paid for gas in over 2 years. Make sure you bring extra gas cans with you. The discount or free gas depending is up to 30 gallons. Only rule is you can only fill up one car at a time. They don't care if fill up gas cans after you fill up your car.

This

My buddy's parents eat at Max&Ermas a lot, do a lot of home repair at home depot or lowes, and rarely if ever pay for gas. I.e. his mom got $1300 in gift cards to get a washer/dryer set that they needed and now they're not paying for gas for a cpl months

GE cards for everything.

I will do to Dicks/kohls and pick out everything I am going to buy and then send the wife across the street to get that amount in gift cards. PetSmart for dog food. HomeDepot/BestBuy and anytime we go out to eat. I will pick up a Mcdonalds card just because I know i will be eating there at least once a week.

nice thing is my pickup holds 33 gallons, but I used to do 15gl in the car and the 3 can fill up.

My wife is one of those big time coupon freaks, saving bunches of money that way too.