GM Builds 100-Millionth Small Block

3.1cutlass

What next? 35 MPG vettes with 450 horsepower?

well since they already get 30mpg i don't see why not.

i was thinking more along the lines of not needing starters anymore like the C6Z race cars before they changed classes and had to take the direction injection off the car.

well since they already get 30mpg i don't see why not.

i was thinking more along the lines of not needing starters anymore like the C6Z race cars before they changed classes and had to take the direction injection off the car.

Let's hope so. Why do companies even bother with small engines again?

BRB swapping in junkyard ls12 to double fuel economy and triple power.

exhaust valve.

Intake valves. It's a pretty serious issue. Normally the fuel being sprayed does a great job of keeping the intake port and valve clean. On a DI car that doesnt happen and they have some pretty serious carbon issues in the intake port and on the intake valve from the PCV system and reversion.

Intake valves. It's a pretty serious issue. Normally the fuel being sprayed does a great job of keeping the intake port and valve clean. On a DI car that doesnt happen and they have some pretty serious carbon issues in the intake port and on the intake valve from the PCV system and reversion.

100% correct.

They don't have a convential "EGR" system, and rely on valve timing/overlap.

They make several PCV Bypass systems, that plus some W/M can help.

I'm almost afraid to look at mine at 113k. :no:

100% correct.

They don't have a convential "EGR" system, and rely on valve timing/overlap.

They make several PCV Bypass systems, that plus some W/M can help.

I'm almost afraid to look at mine at 113k. :no:

GM hasn't used EGR on the V8's for years.

good read.

Many automakers’ gasoline DI engines do not appear to exhibit any carbon build-up issues at all, however. Digging into online threads about Cadillac’s 3.6-liter DI V6 in its popular CTS lineup does reveal some owner concerns about carbon build-up, but it’s difficult to find even a single report that any build-up has actually occurred – a record that is notable considering that Cadillac has sold more than 200,000 CTS models with DI V6s (Audi sold fewer than 2,000 RS 4s in the US during its two-year sales run). Haider, GM’s V6 assistant chief engineer, explained how GM has designed its DI engines to combat carbon buildup: “We maintain great engine function and performance in our all our DI engines through an optimization strategy with our valve events,” he said. “Our intake-cam timing, injector targeting and timing of the injection events are optimized to avoid direct fuel contact on the intake valves. This strategy keeps smoke and soot formation to an absolute minimum, which in turn prevents excessive deposit formation.”

At the Detroit Auto Show in January, Ford was confident enough about its popular 3.5 liter EcoBoost direct-injection V6 to have technicians tear down an example engine that had accumulated the equivalent of 160,000 miles through an intentionally abusive regimen of log dragging, high-speed towing and desert racing. When they opened it up before a live audience, they found some light carbon deposits on the valves and pistons, but not enough to affect performance. In fact, the engine showed a loss of just one horsepower afterwards – roughly what Boyadjiev’s RS 4 engine lost every 500 miles.

read the whole thing.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/direct-injection-fouls-some-early-adopters.html

Lexus and the VAG has huge issues with it. Lexus performs services for it with oil changes. I'll be curious to see how the domestics deal with it, from some people I know up in Detroit they had the same exact issues with the Fords.

Lexus and the VAG has huge issues with it. Lexus performs services for it with oil changes. I'll be curious to see how the domestics deal with it, from some people I know up in Detroit they had the same exact issues with the Fords.

FWIW, the new 3.0L S/C motor is so far not exhibiting any carbon buildup issues.We have people checking and have 10,20,30,and 45k pictures and so far, so good. They began running a higher coolant & oil temp which brought over-all heat way up. (EGT's are higher on this S/C motor than on the previous turbo applications) They run the motor much hotter than before and even on the RS5, they bumped the average oil temp up and it's supposedly helping.

One thing we know for sure after years of documenting issues, is that the harder/ longer the car is driven the slower the building and likelihood of issues.

People who drive 2-10 miles to work and barely get any heat in the motor had major misfiring and power issues by 10-20K miles. By contrast, people who drive 50+ mile commutes had every little buildup, even at 100K+ miles.

I've been trying to blow the car up for years, I have a 60+ mile commute daily and it gets beaten and heated up every day. Still runs & idles like new w/ perfect vacuum. I'm waiting for the turbo to go eventually so we can do a motor pull and check everything and refresh/ upgrade.

Until then, I'll just beat the shit out of the car until it goes. :dumb:

Best way to prevent carbon buildup is with meth injection. :-D

This is great if you are someone who frequently beats on his car. (which helps in of itself) Meth isn't' sprayed at idle, if you are a 5 minute commuter, or someone who drives through rush hour everyday, good luck until you set aside time to beat on it.

I've been trying to find an answer for this for a while; why in all hell don't diesels get carbon build up on the intake valves??? Higher combustion chamber temps preventing the build up or something?

Some do. The older TDis got so bad around 100k miles the intake would be sucking through a hole of carbon the size of a quarter. You can disable the egr and they'll be happy and clean though. That's not port buildup though, it's intake manifold buildup. Plenty of older diesels get carbon buildup on the valves though.