Jeep guys?

Ziggy1647545504

I've got a 1994 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.5 4 cyl. and 5 speed manual trans. I was driving down the highway this afternoon, all was well and seemingly just fine. I approached my exit, so I began to slow and downshifted to 4th, then as I entered the ramp, 3rd gear. When I got to the bottom of the ramp, I began to accelerate (still in 3rd), and when I tried to shift into 4th, the shifter wouldn't go into gear. I was able to shift into 5th with no trouble at all. 3rd gear feels a little funny now. There seems to be more resistance now when shifting into 3rd, and it won't slide into 4th at all, engine running or not. I'm thinking the synchronizer is shot so it's gonna need rebuilt or replaced. Any other ideas?

I need to get this thing taken care of and back on the road ASAP.

How many miles? 150k?

Sounds like the synchro's are wore out.

191k miles... Synchros are what I suspected. Know anyone good and cheap in the Cincy area to fix it? I really can't stomach the idea of dropping the tranny in my driveway as cold and wet as it's been lately.

maybe a thinner tranny oil may help, my car takes 90wt oil for the tranny but when it starts to get hard to shift people say putting redline in helps, its thinner for sure and I'm not sure why it helps but it does, not a perminant fix but it might get you by until spring

If you have a friend to help you then you can have that transmission out, on a bench, and completely disassembled while the engine is still relatively warm. I had mine out three times to rebuild it. I couldn't find anyone to rebuild mine so I did it myself. My first suspicion is a severely worn 3-4 shift sleeve and synchros. My best advice is to go buy a reman transmission with a warranty. If that is not an option, then PM me. I have an old Quadractec here that has a full exploded view diagram of the AX5. To my knowledge, they stopped printing these. I was never able to source the shims that I needed to properly rebuild mine, so I pulled it out and readjusted it three times until it was "close enough". Wasn't the most awesome way to do it, but it worked. That Jeep was a trail slut anyway. Keep me in mind if you have further questions. I got very familiar with the AX5 during that time.

Thanks, Adam. I still haven't decided what to do with it yet. For right now, I'm just going to keep driving it with 1,2,3, and 5. I figure I'm most likely replacing the tranny anyway... I went ahead and listed it on CL for now (if I can sell it as is without having to deal with it, I will) to see if it generates any interest.