School me on Digital Video Cameras

TTQ B4U

Stills and DSLR's I'm good. However, I need to replace a nearly 10yr old Sony Video camera that used Digital tapes. It's old and there are no drivers to pull movies onto my new PC running windows 7 so I'm forced to not only use a non-HD Camera, but edit and convert them on my old P4 Win XP Computer.

We've never been much into videos, but would like to move a bit more in that direction with the kids growing so fast.

Looking for:

• Something small to medium in size
  • Easy to use
  • HD of course
  • Digital with the ability to rip movies over to my PC with ease. I'll buy a huge memory card if available.
  • Love stabilization. Our Sony produces great, smooth vids.
  • Price: Would like to see what a $1k gets me. Less if it's good. Again, don't need something hugely expensive.
  • If I can pull quality still images from the video, that would be a bonus

Also looking for:

What software are you guys using to edit the vids? Again, I'm a pro at Photoshop, but don't want to start at the bottom of the learning curve with it's equiv. in video. Give me something where I can create chapters , titles, transitions and press play to make a DVD is all I need.

I don't want a new DSLR that does video. Open to newer, smaller bridge style cameras like the new Nikon and Sony models that do well with video, but I'd rather buy a dedicated unit that is more developed and will last for several years. My concern with the bridge units is they have too many weak points like microphones, frame rates, etc....

What are the units to look at?

Got a 5D MkII?

GLHF.

Seriously though, most people spending $1k are buying DSLR's for video. The T2i/3i falls in that range. About 500-1000ish (but I am sure you knew that).

It sounds like what you really need is an $80 Flip and Windows Live Movie Maker (suprisingly powerful with a huge community to back it up). The Flips themselves also come with editing software, but I wouldn't use it for anything but importing. I edit with either iMovie or WLMM depending on which computer I imported the videos in to. I usually do my long videos on my Windows machine, because its more powerful and renders the videos much faster.

youtube.com/megamanexev2

All the stuff on my youtube channel with the exception of the ones where I am talking face to face with the camera are shot on my Flip Mino HD. Image stabilization? None at $80, but make a hardware store stedicam from a bolt and a stack of washers and you're good to go. All of my stuff is shakey because I haven't followed my own advice. lol

Got a 5D MkII?
I have several higher end DSLR's but their in their infancy in terms of video abilities and the newer ones even the next gen. are going to be much better. However, I don't have all the details on them yet. Some of the big drawbacks to DSLR's as a dedicated video device are.

• AF is slower
  • Aperture Adjustments during capture
  • Video clips are limited in length due to heat
  • Zoom ranges
  • Video quality stabilization
  • Audio Capture
  • Size

It sounds like what you really need is an $80 Flip and Windows Live Movie Maker (suprisingly powerful with a huge community to back it up). The Flips themselves also come with editing software, but I wouldn't use it for anything but importing. I edit with either iMovie or WLMM depending on which computer I imported the videos in to. I usually do my long videos on my Windows machine, because its more powerful and renders the videos much faster.

Aren't Flip's going away?

What's WLMM ? I probably know but not off the top.....

I have several higher end DSLR's but their in their infancy in terms of video abilities and the newer ones even the next gen. are going to be much better. However, I don't have all the details on them yet. Some of the big drawbacks to DSLR's as a dedicated video device are.

• AF is slower
  • Aperture Adjustments during capture
  • Video clips are limited in length due to heat
  • Zoom ranges
  • Video quality stabilization
  • Audio Capture
  • Size

Aren't Flip's going away?

What's WLMM ? I probably know but not off the top.....

Windows Live Movie Maker. Cisco shut Flip down, yes, which was one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen a company make. Flip was making money hand over fist, and Cisco decided that they just wanted out of that market and decided to kill the division instead of sell it. That said, Flips are EVERYWHERE. Very easy to find, very reasonably priced.