Timing chain job, 1998 F-250 4.6L?

Trouble Maker

So my dad has this truck that he noticed a really bad noise on. He took it to the shop and they said it was the timing chain and it would be $1400. I thought that sounded a little steep, but I don't know what all is involved in this particular car. He's going to get other quotes, but we trust this shop so I don't imagine any other place will be very different.

How hard is it to do the timing chains in this truck? I suggested we could just do it, but neither of us have done a timing chain job before. As long as it's a typical timing chain job, we will be fine. I don't want to have to drop the engine or anything like that though. We just don't have the time and it's probably not worth it.

It's a base 2WD with 160kmi and he only spent $3k on it a few years ago. It's just a truck to haul stuff. It's probably only worth a few grand at this point so he doesn't want to dump a ton of money into it.

Any thoughts?

Yes, this is an independent shop that my parents have used for other jobs before.

It's weird, sometimes they will do a job for very inexpensive, as in, how did they do it for that cheap? One time they got a few hundred dollar job done and they just didn’t charge for the oil change that they also did. Other times it seems a little high. My parents figure it balances out when you are talking about smallish jobs.

I guess I need to tell my dad to get an actual quote from them so we can understand their cost. I'm guessing he only got a verbal quote from them.

Can anyone suggest a shop to go for another quote, preferable on the NW side of town?

Give us a call tomorrow at (740)549-2828 and ask for Justin or Nick. One of them can quote it out for you but I am sure it will come in quite a bit less than $1400 using new oem parts for everything.

Brady, thanks for the consideration. I've known Bill for a while and somehow didn't realize he had opened up a shop, so if we have someone else do this we will be taking it to him.