Anybody wreck their car & buy it back totaled? ?'s about salvage titles withinin

mustangman2011

I have a older car that I wrecked. It is still drivable but cosmetically looks like shit. I am guessing by its age it would be considered total.

Who has bought there car back after it is considered a loss? What is the processes? How much do they normally charge for the vehicle? IE how do they calculate buy back costs? Also, to get it re titled does it be pretty or just functioning lights etc? How involved is the salvaged inspection? Where do you go? Costs etc?

TIA

The only way it goes to a "Salvaged" State on the title is if an insurancee company pays you for the vehicle then you have to put the title (or they do) into a slavaged state. You didnt metion the involvement of anhy nsurance, so if your asking just bbecause you wreckeed it, then no it wont be totaled or "Salvaged"

When I wrecked mine the other guys insurance co had me go to the title agency and convert it to salvage, then fax them a copy to prove it. After that they sent me a check. Now it's just up to me to finish fixing it and get it inspected so I can get the title updated to a rebuild title. The paperwork for the inspection is $50 just fyi

usually when a car is totaled and insurance is involved then you can buy the car back from insurance with a salvage title, usually pretty stupid cheap too (something like 400 I think but it might depend on the car idk) but anyways when you have it inspected they just want to make sure it is safe to drive and that it will pass smog I believe.

I've done this many times in Columbus. Inspection process is not for safety (other than no sharp edges sticking out). I've had cars inspected with no airbags, horn, cracked windshield... They only wanted receipts for the parts replaced from the crash. Sometimes there are no parts because the damage is 'internal'. Then they give it a once over and stamp the form - you are good to go. Convert the title back to a rebuilt one and back on the road. It is an easy option if the car still runs and drives good. Also not a bad option to buy it back and sell it for more to someone who fixes/flips them... Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

My dad's car was totaled about 10 years ago and I think the insurance people were just lazy because they cut him a check and moved on, he still drives it never had the title affected or anything. They are supposed to make you change the title, and have it inspected, calling the state highway patrol would get you on the right track to some better answers as I beleive they usually do the inspections. As far as I know they are just concerned with safty equipment and roadworthyness, leaving a lot up to the inspector.

The insurance will give you a payout based on what the car is worth minus what they think they can get for it wrecked. The one car I had totaled like that I just let them take, they gave me $2k more then what I had in it so in that case I didn't care.

As for value/buy back price - Seems to go like this: Ins.co looks at vehicle and estimates damage. If that estimate is over X% of the value of the vehicle, they call it a total loss. Then they call around to local salvage yards to see what they will pay for the wrecked car. That # is the buyback cost for you to keep the car. So the 'hotter' the car, the higher the buyback price is.

You can also check a site like this one to see if anyone is interested in purchasing the car from you if you buy it back (and are not interested in keeping/fixing it yourself). You can make a few bucks extra for very little work.