To Display or Not?

Sully

I now have 5 shotguns, so I think it's time for a cabinet. Now, the question is whether I should get a glass cabinet with lock so that I can display them, or get a combination lock safe. I'd like your thoughts of each and suggestions as to what I should get.

Depends on your house IMO. Both from a Decour and security stand point. I have a great place in my office that I would love display my rifles and in turn mount my hand guns in frames on the walls but I can't due to kids floating all over. I'm not worried about anyone peering in an seeing them.

What about a display case with unbreakable glass? Are those available?

Or, what if there was a way to secure them inside the glass case if someone was to break the glass?

I plan on putting them in some sort of case in my basement where no one can see in the house and it's a low-traffic area, so I'm leaning toward a glass case.

I buy my guns for me and me alone. I have no desire to show them off. My biggest concern is protecting them. So, I'd buy a safe. The only way I'd go for some sort of display case is if I had a walk-in vault.

This. I don't need to advertise my guns to anyone.

It's not really "advertising" or "showing them off". For me is more that I have hand me down muzzle loaders and shot guns from my grandpa. That I probably won't shoot. And it's just nice to have them where I can see them.

I still say get a cabinet. That's what I'm doing.

It's not really "advertising" or "showing them off". For me is more that I have hand me down muzzle loaders and shot guns from my grandpa. That I probably won't shoot. And it's just nice to have them where I can see them.

I still say get a cabinet. That's what I'm doing.

My dad had his display case with his 12g and papaws .22. After papaw and his great uncle passed away and he acquired more from their collection he decided sentimental value was worth more than the value of his 12g. That's the exact reason he's getting a safe.

If someone breaks in, busts the glass, and grabs what he's got now he can NEVER replace them. Not because of the guns themselves but because of who they belonged to and what they mean to him.

Get a safe.

What about a display case with unbreakable glass? Are those available?

Or, what if there was a way to secure them inside the glass case if someone was to break the glass?

I plan on putting them in some sort of case in my basement where no one can see in the house and it's a low-traffic area, so I'm leaning toward a glass case.

I work in a glass factory. As far as "unbreakable" glass...no, not LITERALLY, but we can do laminates using security wire and various interlays that are massively inconvenient to get through. Just as an example, we did the glass in the polar bear exhibit at the zoo...it's designed to take the weight of all that water PLUS the impact of a SERIOUSLY pissed off half-ton bear...and then some.

The problem is, when you get to glass that strong, it's going to be THICK... then mounting and securing it becomes the weakness.

Honestly, steel is the way to go...ever see a bank vault with a glass door?