can this picture be cleaned up

88lx5oh

that is as big as i can get it..

the gopro i was using wasnt a HD unit

so what ya see is what i got

You have PM with link.

• Cleaned up jpeg compression and artifacts from video/still capture.
  • Balanced exposure
  • White balance adjusted
  • Enlarged for 4x6 print size

Won't blow you away, but will print 4x6 now much better and cleaner than the original.

How does one go about undoing a lossy compression algorithm?

You can't actually undo it but you can correct it. The first step in small images like this are to remove all artifacts aka JPEG "blocks" that ALL JPEGs exhibit to some degree. They just happen to be huge in this image which is common in still capture from video. You have to target it on individual color channels and then on the A&B channel in lab color mode.

Once that's done you can apply other typical edits and adjustments. Finally, you finish with resizing it properly. Not just resampling or resizing the existing image but actually converting the pixels to vectors and then resizing it. This will eliminate any further jaggy edges.

Again, this image was by no means easy as it lacks detail and is very low resolution, but it will print 4x6 for good memories and better than the original.

Here it is with a little motion blur added. Not only helps the image but does help technically hide stuff too. However, I provided him with both a motion blurred version and non. The below is of course downsized to match the original and thus is not the print quality image or size.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/140599230/large.jpg