Torpedo heater?

JaSSon

I need a heater for the garage. The garage itself is rather large (floor space for 4 cars, up to 6 if you got creative) with high ceilings. That being said, I don't want to have to store some massive heater and don't want to drop a ton on it. Have any of you seen one on sale? I have no preference between Kerosene or Propane. Input fellers?

My back garage is 30x40, more barn than garage, open rafters, and a medium-sized torpedo heater is a waste unless you have it aimed at you. If I get back into any projects that require I spend a lot of time out there in < 30 degrees, I am going to get a large propane unit and a large tank like mentioned above. Less stinky too.

Check Amazon for these. I'm looking to get one myself and happened to search Amazon.com. The prices were $80-180 cheaper (looking at the Mr. Heater brand) over Sears.com pricing. (And Amazon offers free shipping) I still haven't purchsed anything yet - but thought I'd let you know about what I've found. Good luck with your purchase!

I bought my dad this one for christmas for our barn haven't set it up yet but plan on getting a 100lb propane tank for it as well. Seemed like a good price with a reputable name brand.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=mr+heater+85k+btu&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1177&bih=609&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1913079108315469475&sa=X&ei=Dw8BT43OHOmw2wWj5K2LCA&ved=0CGkQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

amazing reviews on this one through garage journal and it is made in the USA. I ordered one today, I dont like the idea of running a gas line to my garage for natural gas heater and got real tired of the fumes and cost of replacing the tank for the propane reddy heater so I am going to try electric. There are a TON of reviews between amazon and garage journal/yellowbullet where people say the do amazing and since I am trying to keep my garage 70 all the time I am not too worried about the power bill.

http://www.amazon.com/Fahrenheat-Ceiling-Mount-Electric-Heater-FUH5-4/dp/B0000AXEZV/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325470243&sr=8-1-spell

I have a 30x40 barn with a high ceiling and I can tell you from experience, you need a large heater or it's just flat out a waste of effort... I have a 175k BTU heater and 55k BTU heater running to keep the barn warm when I'm out there. I will say that I love my Propaine Heater, but if you go that route, but several tanks... I have 3 that I swap between... the tanks will freeze up after about 45 minutes use.

Mine is 155,000btu. The good thing about mine is it has a built in thermostat. It takes about 2 mins to get my garage nice and room and then shuts itself off. If/when it cools down it fires back up. Much better than the first (smaller) one I had that didnt have the thermostat and I would have to unplug/plug it back in everytime.

amazing reviews on this one through garage journal and it is made in the USA. I ordered one today, I dont like the idea of running a gas line to my garage for natural gas heater and got real tired of the fumes and cost of replacing the tank for the propane reddy heater so I am going to try electric. There are a TON of reviews between amazon and garage journal/yellowbullet where people say the do amazing and since I am trying to keep my garage 70 all the time I am not too worried about the power bill.

http://www.amazon.com/Fahrenheat-Ceiling-Mount-Electric-Heater-FUH5-4/dp/B0000AXEZV/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325470243&sr=8-1-spell

Had 2 of these in moms garage and liked them alot

If you buy a K1 heater buy one of the newer ones with a thermostat. I bought a new one last year and it is SOOOOOO much better than plugging it in then off when it gets to hot then on 10 min later when it is cold then off...etc

this

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 70K BTU kerosene, it's going back. Half an hour and I could still see my breath. Found a 190K @ TSC that looks promising. Didnt want to spend $300-$400.

Any place local have these besides, Lowe's, Home Depot, and TSC?

I have a 30 x 55 garage I heat with a 375,000 btu Master LP torpedo. Quieter and "less stinky" than propane. Heats up my garage in about 3 minutes.

What is that, a $700 heater?

Canards had the best bang for the buck when I bought mine

You mean Menards? Just checked, they have a 125k for $248, and a 215k for $338.

What is the heater used for? Heating daily, just when in the garage?

To keep me from freezing to death when working in the garage. Won't be used daily.